1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD to release new integrated chipset

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 14 Feb 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

do we have any inkling what kinda spec we're looking at here...something like a 9600 onboard or less powerful?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We're under NDA at the moment, but we will have the full details at the end of the month.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'll say 7600 specs.

5. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Em, I'm not sure why both HDMI and DVI out is a good thing, I thought HDMI = DVI + audio and thus HDMI alone could eliminate the need for DVI?

L J

6. randosome

randosome Banned

i thought HDMI wasnt as good as DVI anyway (seeing as an HDMI connector has 19 pins carrying audio vs DVI's 24 digital pins with no audio)
    Either way, it could be the same output just to 2 plugs, but ofc not everyone uses HDMI, so you really should offer DVI

7. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

HDIM is DVI with crappy audio (jitter) and crappy copy protection (HDCP)
    nothing new and I suspect from the news posts about HDCP and HDIM that bit-tech fears offending there advertisers? (I notice alot of graphics card manufactures advertise here).

"We're under NDA at the moment" this troubles me if you sign NDA's how can you claim to be a journalist?

by reading your site I trust your judgment on hardware to dictate my future purchases but how can I for much longer with NDA's and strange over enthusiastic press releases?

to employ staff bit-tech must have a decent cash flow, can't you buy the hardware and sell it on at a slight loss instead of signing NDA's?

*the return to apples to apples comparisons was a good step in the right dirrection

8. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Show me any journalist who don't sign NDAs these days.

AFAIK, its the only way they get to have some hands on experience with the hardware...

I'd rather wait for the NDA to lift and have some informed opinions than the mis-informed ramblings of some 'journalist' who's never even see the hardware in the flesh much less used it.

I do see your point, that it seems hardware makers are dictating what can be published.
    But as long as its only when something's published rather than what's published they influence, then I'm happy. :)

9. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I think the inquirer has a no NDA policy :idea:
    I'm not suggesting the bit-tech staff are consiously editing articals to be favorable it's just hard to trust a source that has already denied knowlaged based on the veiws of someone there ment to be critical of.

10. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

What is this "crappy audio" you're talking about? HDMI supports eight-channel lossless audio, which appears to be on par with or better than, say, S/PDIF. HDMI also supports much higher resolutions: a DVI connection hits its limit at about 1,920×1,080 at 60 Hz., while an HDMI connection can hit 3,840×2,160 according to my calculations, with room to spare (I accidentally used slightly lower numbers).
    Thus searching for an answer to the age-old question: just how long can you flog a dead horse?
    That was such a… random statement.

11. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

DVI also sends analog signals (which the crts used) and the digital (most lcds use) and iirc hdmi only uses digital signals

12. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I'll agree that more pins should mean "better", more pins most always does mean that the connector has the physical capability to provide a "better" link. However, take the SATA power connector for example, it has like 15 pins but those pins only have 5 functions (12v, 5v, 3.3v and 2 grounds).

L J

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Are you sure there is a 3.3V line?

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It is Never EVER the case that "what is published", only when. NDAs are common in every industry and if you want top class reviews with lots of detail and kit to review you have to abide by them. It's got nothing to do with advertisers, only AMD. I have all the detail here on the 690G, but we're waiting a board to test fully and I'll be writing about it in some depth later this month. FYI: ExtremeTech's article is wrong in several respects. I'd love to confirm with you what they are and reply to your comments but I'd also like to go to future AMD events :) The Inq has a no NDA policy but they also get things wrong quite often and never get invited to official industry events.
    There's nothing cryptic or conspiracy about it: we just cant officially comment on an unreleased product. Yet. ;)

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I like NDAs to an extent at least. Especially for hardware, it normally gives reviewers (like Tim and Bindi) enough time to make a fully informed decision on a product.

16. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cool, nice find! Oooo Intel, wow :thumb: News worthy.

18. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Very easily, they're in almost any industry that has R&D. Would you rather I not report on upcoming technology, instead only stuff that's already been out?
    This isn't a press release, it's my findings on a topic. I'm enthused about it because I, for one, am an HTPC enthusiast so anything that's going to give me those types of connection options without requiring a discrete card is something to get a bit excited about.
    Sure we can. If we want to be late to the party for every review, plus never get an interview with a company to sit down and discuss the technology behind it. This brings us back to point 1 - do you want us to simply cover only the current market, with no insight into what's coming or explanation of what the real changes are at anything more than a superficial level?
    I'll send your tinfoil hat in the mail, but for the record our editorial staff (myself, tim, rich, wil) have nothing whatsoever to do with the sales or advertising you see on the site. That divide is set up for a very good reason - to make sure thoughts like this have no realistic validity.
    You're right, and that position has really made the Inquirer a very special type of animal. We know them pretty well, very nice chaps - but we do run two very different types of sites.
    Well, I'm glad to hear you're not insulting my (or the site's) journalistic integrity...because from all the quotes above, I might have misunderstood :)

Hope that clears some things up on why we follow NDAs...and for the record, we would never sign one that required anything more of us than to wait for a particular release date - if it's got any stipulation on what we can or can't report from that day forward, we don't sign it.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

roflmao, I honestly can't believe what I'm reading here. Entertaining read, will laugh again. :hehe:

20. Draven

Draven What's a Dremel?

That has got to be the funniest post I've read in a very long time on any forum.

Let's start with the obvious stuff first - HDCP is not limited to HDMI and is just as aplicable to DVI. In fact most new monitors are shipping with HDCP compliant DVI ports, specifically so that they can playback protected content.

Then we have "crappy" audio :hehe: As is rightly pointed out above, HDMI can carry the highest quality audio, including completely lossless codecs like Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD. Unless you're indicating that these codecs are "crappy" of course, but having listened to some TrueHD mixes over HDMI at Dolby's labs recently, I can assure you that they're not!

Then we have the issue of NDAs, which aparently call journalistic integrity into question :hehe:

The non-disclosure agreement is a way for companies to brief key journalists well in advance of a launch. This means that guys like Tim can start working on a review LONG before that product hits the streets, thus giving his readers the best possible information.

There is nothing underhand about adhering to an NDA, it just means that manufacturers can launch a product when it's ready, and journalists can have enough time to formulate quality editorial.

The fact that the Inquirer doesn't sign NDAs doesn't make them more trustworthy, it just means that they can publish every snippet of information that they get without fear of a law suit, AND as was mentioned above, much of that information often turns out to be wrong.

As for buying hardware to review and then selling it on, that's just hysterical. So, what you're saying is that journalists shouldn't even start the review process until the product is already widely available on the street. Then, while consumers are already buying it, journos should start testing and come up with an in depth review that is then published just as the initial buying frenzy has ended!

So, do you think that the guys on Top Gear buy all the cars they test? No? Why not? Do you think that film reviewers just try to book a ticket for opening night at the movies, so that no one reads their review until after the big opening weekend? No? Why not? Surely your suggested model applies to all types of journalism?

Tags: Add Tags