1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress AMDoras Box - ITX LLano build - 12/12-11 Sketches and watercooling considerations!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sheiken, 15 Nov 2011.

1. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I am a big AMD fan(boy), best to get that out there from the beginning! Now you know what you have gotten yourself into by clicking this thread! :hehe:

Mission statement:
    Create a small, efficient, silent and relatively powerful itx rig.

For me the choice of platform was pretty easy, and that is why I went with Llano. I know Trinity will probably be out Q1 2012, but it will be pretty easy to change just the motherboard and processor, in which case the Llano components will be relegated to HTPC duties.

Components:

AMD A8-3850 - Pretty easy choice, as it is the fastest of the current APUs.

ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe - This choice was also pretty straightforward as this is the best A75 itx board, in regards to features and overclocking.

8Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz - They were on sale and they were available, add to cart, unfortunately though, the massive heatspreaders will have to be replaced.

Antec ISK310-150 - Choosing the right case for the job was pretty difficult, but I opted for this as it looks good, is quite petite and has the 150w psu. Although it will be replaced by a PicoPsu XT160, down the road, for added efficiency and silent operation.

Scythe Shuriken Rev.2 - The box cooler is absolute garbage, it is noisy and offers very poor cooling, and the Shuriken has a great rep, and it was on sale. Add to cart!

The MOD
    If you think I will be going crazy modding this build, then I'm afraid you will be a little dissapointed! The main goal of modding will be silence whilst preserving, and hopefully improving performance. Some aesthetic modding will take place though.

Bottom Line
    I will replace the box cooler, the stock fans, the stock psu, possibly create a 120mm blowhole, sleeve all the cables, dim or change the stock leds (why do case manufacturers ALWAYS use insanely bright leds?), change the harddrive mounts to accommodate one 3.5" HDD and one 2.5" SSD.

I will keep you guys posted!

A couple of pics:

We all love to come home to this!
    [​IMG]

What was hidden inside
    [​IMG]

The "Beast"
    [​IMG]

I am always impressed with the small footprint of itx boards
    [​IMG]

The mandatory *****
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Dec 2011
  2. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

sorry about the off-topic, cute kitten, what's its name??

Never seen that computer case before.. Would you be doing a small review on that case?? Just curious is all

3. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

Hi,

Exept the hardware pictures, haven't you some designs draws?

Really want to see the disign!!!

Good luck :thumb:

4. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

It is a she and it is name Lilo, like in Disney's Lilo & Stitch, my girlfriend and I are very fond of Hawaii, so it just seemed like a perfect fit! And I have never encoured a cat as laid back as Lilo, so it lives up to the name! :)

I could easily do a review, is there anything in particular that you would like to know?

Canard
    So far I havent got any design drawings as I wont change much on the exterior, except for the leds, and maybe a blowhole. I like clean and minimalist designs. Which is also why I chose this case. Antec even forgot to put a logo on it! lol :hehe:

5. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

--------------------------
    Lilo? oh wow that's an awesome name..

about the review... I was wondering how's the case size, air movement etc etc..

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Yay for another ITX-build :rock:

I was thinking about the ISK 310 aswell, but then decided to opt for the even smaller ISK 100, which has a 100mm fan, easily cooling my Atom/ION board totally silent. And I don't need an internal optical drive in my HTPC aswell.

7. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

More tiny stuff! Yay indeed :clap:

That is a seriously nice looking case as it is, can't wait to see how it's improved :thumb:

8. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

An ITX build for breakfast(for me anyway) is the way to start my day.

I watch.

john

9. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I am really feeling the ITX love in here! Great! I will have a minor update over the weekend with new pictures of the new cooler and ramsinks that I have ordered. And also a short review of the case !

JRS, I would love to have it in the ISK 100, but that might be pushing the boundaries a bit :)

10. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

A little temperature baseline before the mods, while playing BF3 for an hour the cpu reaches 74*c and the chipset reaches 59*c, so it gets a bit toasty! Nothing that the mods wont take care of though :)

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Well... If you don't need an optical drive and only use a SSD for OS and software + a 2,5"HDD for storage, then it is actually possible to cram it into the ISK 100. There's some 50mm room for a CPU-cooler and the mesh on the side of the case provides plenty of airflow.

12. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Yes, but unfortunately I would have to replace the psu first, and me being a poor poor student, it helps that I can make do with the 150w unit in the 310 :)
    The PicoPsu wont happen until next month I reckon. :(

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Ah... my bad, I thought you allready are using the picoPSU :duh:

14. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I wish! :read: ;)

15. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

So today I was greated with this, when I came home from school (teaching practice)

[​IMG]

I ordered from Caseking.de, and they were so nice to throw this in, yay for german gamer literature :hehe: :worried:
    [​IMG]

The new and much smaller ramsinks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Shuriken, very well made unit!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What I am working with here
    [​IMG]

Gently prying open the vulgar ramsinks of my corsair memory, I was very careful not to dislodge any of the memory chips
    [​IMG]

I should just have bought Kingston HyperX from the beginning :D
    [​IMG]

Cooler and case trolling
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Function over form right now
    [​IMG]

And what a difference the Shuriken made! It is soooo much quieter now, and it reaches 60*c max, and that is even with the fan at 50%, so I am very content with that.

I have encountered a problem, and I wish I was aware of it sooner! My memory is incompatible with my motherboard as it crashes when I run it at 1866mhz, so I am stuck running it at 1600mhz. The big problem though is, I only found out AFTER having replaced the ramsinks, so fingers crossed that an upcoming bios update will fix it!

Everything is pretty much a botch job right now as the real modding cant begin until I replace the psu (sleeving, new hdd mounts etc.), but for now it works!

16. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Why didn't you just buy the LP (low profile) version of the vengance memory, rather than spending extra on Akasa 'sinks?

17. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

When I ordered they were the only 1866mhz memory available at the time :) But luckily memory isnt too expensive these days. If a new bios update doesnt fix the compatability issues then I will buy new.

18. Monty

Monty What's a Dremel?

How tall is the Shuriken and the board together?

19. Amsalpedalb

Amsalpedalb What's a Dremel?

Build looks good so far, and I was thinking of using this mobo myself but I've been a bit concerned about how close the socket is to the pci-e slot. Does the shuriken block the pci-e slot at all? Cheers.

20. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

looking good, have you started it up, what temps you getting?