1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks An Idea I have been thinking about.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kongen, 8 Nov 2005.

1. kongen

kongen What's a Dremel?

Wow long time no posting activity...

Anyway some of my previous mods went well thanks to a lot of support here at bit-tech which is why this next question is going to be an odd one to try and decide if I can mod my laptop cleanly without causing problems etc...

So for starters this is my laptop
    Averatec 3225HS
    Lightweight sleek and so far I had it on doing a benchmark to try and get it as hot as I possibly could resting flat on my carpet and the thing still didnt get hot enough to even phase my hand grabbing the bottom. This is after 4 hours of benchmark testing...
    So basically this is my portable rig right now...

Now here is where I am thinking outside the box but at the same time I am not sure if this is possible.
    We have all seen case skins http://www.xoxide.com/caseskin.html at some point or another. So basically can you put a caseskin on a laptop if you apply it properly...

Obviously there are a few things you have to understand about case skins... To "mold" a case skin you heat the skin so that it will become easily stretched and will form fit whatever you desire. *Problem 1* I have no idea what the tempature required to make it this plyable and I don't know if my laptop will reach that tempature should I apply a skin on it. A laptop needs to breath which is why they tend to have a large area near the processor with plenty of vents. Now this is why I was thinking a case skin would be a good choice. If you want to form fit a case skin you can take a needle and poke or slit an area heat it and it will form fit around the nearest edge.

So I guess basically guys what do you think... It it doable or should I use my alternative...
    My alternative is to find someone who prints out large scale stickers large enough for me to use a sticker as my skin and I could cut out areas that need air as well as attempt to fold them over the proper areas...

So the project goal is to make my averatec laptop appear to be an airbrushed masterpiece based on some custom artwork I have decided on.

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

3. kongen

kongen What's a Dremel?

Yeah I have seen this mod but this appears to be a single sticker that only covers the back of where your lcd would be... In other words all your doing is adding a huge sticker to the back of one part of your laptop and leaving the rest looking very unclean.

My overall goal is to make the laptop appear to be clean brand new and very much a part of the laptops look. If they made replacement shells that would solve this issue I would purchase a replacement shell for my laptop...

Anyway I suppose I could use the polyfx stuff and purchase 2 oversized to cover the entire mass of the project.

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

If you look at my project log, I have used a caseskin. And I am very impressed with it. Basically if you order an oversized skin (might be an idea to actually order a computer caseskin as you get more) then you can use the remaining for other parts of the laptop. Just get the diamensions you need and photoshop images to your needs and put them onto one larger image ready for print. You can then cut them to the sizes you need.