1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Android tablet buying advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by music4mybumhole, 28 Oct 2012.

1. music4mybumhole

music4mybumhole What's a Dremel?

2. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yup the quad core will be generally better, not too much visible difference but at least it's more future proof. The A10 presumably has other stuff over the A9 too, maybe faster clock-per-clock but I'm not too sure on the details.

The one you linked has attractive specs for the price (I think, but as I'm in the UK things could be priced differently over there) but look out for cut corners such as connectivity options, and the screen technology (don't expect IPS). Also being an unknown brand the build quality may come into question. Try and find reviews or comparisons is my advice.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

That tablet is solid value, but you'll always wish you'd spent a little extra and gone with a brand name you trust.

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

The NExus 10 is coming out soon. Personally i'd wait.

5. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Problem with cheap Chinese tablets is there is no guarantee of software updates and quite often the software that is installed isn't as optimised as it could be. A usual complaint is poor battery life.

Personally I'd be looking at a Google Nexus 7 - the 8GB and 16GB models are dropping in price on the used market as everyone wants the new 32GB models - or if you want a cheapo tablet then go for an Ainol Novo7 Flame aka Fire. Decent specs and nice IPS screen.

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

iPad 4/mini or Nexus 7/10

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There's no such thing as A10, it's a fake ARM ID and fake CPU spec. No one counts all core frequencies together either so it's not a 4.8GHz CPU. This all screams to avoid it. The Freescale CPU is an A9 quad core with "Vivante GC2000" GPU. CPU is standard property but GPU is hardly cutting edge. http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX6Q&fsrch=1&sr=1

Tablets are more than a spec sheet - they need support and software development to work properly, otherwise you'll have a paper weight.

Look in second hand places for older 2011/2012 models if you want a 10" cheaper, or, grab a Nexus 7 ;)

8. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Well I'm living my nexus 7 and have watched a couple of kovoet on it already. I also use a Seagate external HDD to store stuff on it via WiFi. Music I got poweramp with the voucher they give you, an awesome little app

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Nexus 7

All other andriod tablets in the low end price range are best avoided, poor screen awful software support, and poor battery life been some of the complaints I here.

Kindle fire hd would be another choice. ( its not strictly andriod )

10. dariun

dariun What's a Dremel?

Like most people have said; avoid the one you linked and get a Nexus 7 :D

Like the old saying goes "If it sounds too good to be true..." a 600% performance increase where it "swept the mainstream tablet" as well as advertising full HD 1080p then states its resolution is 1280x800 lol.

Made in China...disposed of in the bin!

With Google releasing the 32gb version of their Nexus 7 for £199 the 16gb version is going for around £165-175. You may even be able to find second hand (but still more or less brand new) versions for much less as people seek to get the latest model.

I'm going to get the 32gb version later today :D

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I'm seriously tempted by a Nexus, would be a silly purchase but might sell my m11x r1 as it doesnt get used much tbh.

12. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Now that the 32GB Nexus 7, Nexus 7 3G and Nexus 10 have been announced I can see the older 8GB Nexus 7 dropping in price quite a lot on the used market. Probably be seeing these for around £100 now since the 16GB is £159.

13. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

If you've not gotten a N7 yet, you could consider one of the RK3066 based tablets. But yeah, with any china tablets you risk dodgy QC. Though, I've gone through 4 tablets from 3 different brands. (In-laws, wife, mum) One of which is ampe. Hardware quality is decent considering the price. Software is a bit of a pain in the ***. But once it's up and running i don't really have to touch it again since they don't require the latest and greatest. So far the missus one has been going for nearly 1.5 years? Ampe a90, allwinner a10 (yeah, misleading choice of name) processor. Good enough for basic surfing, videos light gaming.

Personally, I'm still undecided on the N7 or the popo U1. No google device store where i'm at so a overpriced N7 could get me 2 and then some of the U1. And the RK3066 processor in the U1 seems to be able to give the N7 a run for its money in terms of graphics. Front facing speaker on the U1 is a nice touch too. Guess it's device longevity or shorter upgrade cycle. Decisions, decisions...

14. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

I would wait for the Nexus 10, personally. It's better by miles.

15. music4mybumhole

music4mybumhole What's a Dremel?

Cheers for all the feedback, esp deadsea (gave me the most info on what I'm looking, cheers dude).
    Only want a 9.7 or 10", so thanks to all recommending N7, but not interested.
    I would love a N10 but £320 is more than double my budget. I'm only looking internet and youtube really so I'm pretty happy that the Ampe will do the job, though I may take a look at some RK3066 tablets as you say, deadsea.

16. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Ah, i though you were flexible on the size of the tablet. Wrong assumption there i guess. Good thing nearly all the brands have a 9.7/10.1 in edition. Some of the more reputable brands that i've heard are Teclast, Window/Yuandao. Pipo is decent to good, and supposedly their M1, M2 series 10 inchers is good. Can't vouch for them though. Just what i've read. Ones I've had are Ampe (Full plastic, little bit creaky when pressed at the edges, software is good.) Ramos (Excellent build.Full plastic but nice and solid. Software acceptable.) Gemei ( Similar to Ampe, Software needs a fair bit of tinkering)

Cube is/was good. But they seem to be having QC issues. At least that's the impression on the tablet forums. And they are switching from IPS screens to MVA ones for some of their models.

Main things to look out for in tablets is the screen. I've used one with a TF panel and it involves a lot of tilting at all angles. (I find it's crap but mum thinks it's fine) Battery life is another. Don't expect ipad equivalent of course. Best is to stalk a few tablet forums and read the user complaints since the reviewers typically have a web store of their own and may be a touch biased.

Just remember, China tablets'performance targets is Acceptable/Pretty Good. Not Amazing