1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Antec Kuhler Box Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

The moment I saw only 4 copper heat pipes I knew it would not stand up to competition. This is such a tried and tested form of cooling you would think companies would have it sussed by now and not release such expensive but inadequate coolers.

P.S. The price for US needs changing from £ to $... ;-)

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Frio still best air cooler you can buy pre 4ghz overclocks at least. And it's getting cheaper regulary on deals of the day for £30 delivered

4. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Was looking to buy this cooler but i think the hunt is still on for me.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I just can't stand the plastic look of the Frio... I know it is not the very best cooler out there but I think the Titan Fenrir is good enough and looks much better.

6. jon

jon Chief Phrenologist

What I don't get is, cooler design has some standard "known good" forms that some companies just don't want to pay attention to.
    1. Eradicate air gaps between the mounting plate and the chip
    2. More pipes (generally) provides more cooling
    3. simplify the mounting process
    4. Align the airflow properly
    5. Decrease noise

Do that for sub $50, and you've got a winner. Fail at any one of these, and people wonder why you even showed up to play.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

...is there any implementation with the fan in the middle that's silend and powerfull?
    Not really, is there?
    I wonder why developers keep going back to this design.

8. jon

jon Chief Phrenologist

Interesting idea. I think I've seen one in the past (don't rely on my memory), but it would seem to me a bit of a challenge ... if the fan dies on an external-mounting HSF, you can replace the fan cheaply enough as a home user. If the fan is internal, you might have a heck of a lot harder time, or wait for an RMA while your system sits idle in the Off position.

Still ... might be interesting to theorize ...

My biggest question is, don't these companies create prototypes to test prior to launch? I mean, they have lots of data from external sources like Bit-Tech, Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, and a multitude of other review sites. Build the prototype ... test it on a like system ... and see how it performs. If it meets or exceeds other coolers, then figure out a way to build it so it's priced cheaper ... now you've got a winning product!

Seriously, it's like these companies don't understand a basic business model.

9. Hawkest

Hawkest I got some 4GB new RAM

any one have any thoughts on how this cooler would be on a Q6600, overclocked or not?

i really like the look of it and it would fit really well with my raven 02 case!!!

10. Xir

Xir Modder

I doubt it, some will do, and they receive good reviews, but there are so many cases/coolers/younameit with OBVIOUS flaws.
    How difficult can it be to test you mounting-mechanism on the relatively few sockets that exist?
    Can't mount it without breaking your fingers? That should have never got past the drawing-stage. :D

Tags: Add Tags