1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any desginers open to a simple freebie for a local charity?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 16 Sep 2020.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Hi all,

Those of you that know me will know that I work for a regional charity (www.voluntarynorfolk.org.uk).

We recently launched a small project aimed at getting people local to Norwich, who have lost their jobs due to the Covid-19 pandemic, quickly back into work.

We do this by offering simple advice and encouragement, support with CVs and application forms, interview skills, links to local employers, so on and so forth (all for free of course!).

Now, usually we would promote a service like this through the local authority, jobcentre plus, GP surgery's, etc; but nearly all of these remain closed to the public or have limited access.

Therefore we're going for a mix of social media targeting and "old school" poster drops in local businesses, cafes, supermarkets, etc.

That's where I'm hoping you might come in!

If any budding designer would be so kind as to have a crack at a poster for us, that would be amazing. Our existing efforts look unfortunately amateurish.

Given that we're essentially targeting people who have only just fallen out of work (and perhaps have never had to seek work before) I'm keen that we try and produce something clean and professional looking.

The project is question is this one: https://www.voluntarynorfolk.org.uk/services/employment-skills-services/routes-to-work/

Our existing, slightly garish attempt was this: https://ibb.co/jkyPbrh

I can supply high res copies of logos, write any copy, etc.

Bit of a long shot, but you guys have been good to me before! :)

EDIT: Just to add if anyone wants to build a portfolio, do something more involved, get some voluntary experience, or get a reference - then I can help with those!

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I actually quite like that. Swap out the typeface and I think it'd look pretty good.

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

That's actually my personal effort, so thank you :)

I'm probably going to try a version with the colours toned down, but I converted to jpg before saving in an editable format :(

Any recommendations on a typeface?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Depends what you're going for.

For accessibility, I love - though haven't used in anger - Atkinson Hyperlegible, which is designed to be readable to those with vision impairment.

[​IMG]

There's also OpenDyslexic, which I hate the look of but which serves a key purpose for accessibility.

IBM's Plex is fantastic, too, though does make things look a little... IBM. Obviously.

Don't discard the classics, either: I'd much rather see Open Sans than Arial.

5. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Atkinson Hyperlegible is fantastic, thanks for the link.

I thought I'd have another quick crack myself: https://ibb.co/DffhcR5

I've toned down the colours, changed the font, and added some semi-transparent blocks behind key text (hopefully making it easier to read).

6. Gareth Halfacree

I like it! There's a small handful of things I'd change, tho':

"applications forms" should be "application forms".
    "Contact Shaun" rather than "contact Shaun" - not a fan of the missing initial cap.
    Remove the full stop at the end of the headline, remove the "to" so it reads "Helping you return to work", increase the size.
    I'd maybe remove the "is" from the main body and format it as a single sentence: "Free support available to anyone aged 18+ and living in Norwich, even if you're only just out of work." That also fixes having "and living in Norwich" just kinda floating there.
    Maybe stretch the bottom paint splat a bit, so the contact information doesn't cross the border between dark and light backgrounds. Or stick a semi-transparent box under it, like elsewhere.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Inclined to agree with all of those.

I've also slightly downsized the font on the "Free support..." section, looks tidier and I think remains clear.

https://ibb.co/r45rrZv

8. Gareth Halfacree

You've still got "applications forms" there, but other than that it looks good t'me!

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Oh that green is not the one... Looks like puke :p