1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Any differences between usb1/2 cables??

Discussion in 'Modding' started by El_JimBob, 23 Jan 2004.

1. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Im pretty sure im putting this Q in the right forum but do correct me if im wrong :)
    Ive just upgraded to some USB2.0 devices and a USB2.0 mains powered hub. Whilst installing the devices, i noticed that there seems to be no physical difference between my old lo-speed usb cables and the newer hi-speed ones, aside from the fact that theyre all braided, presumably for better screening.
    Now here's the catch, i have some old braided usb1.1 cables - can i use them safely with my 2.0 devices, or is there something im missing.
    Jim

2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

USB 2.0 is directly backwards compatable with usb 1.1, so any "lo-speed" usb cables will work with 2.0 devices, though there ~may~ be a slight difference in speed, but even that I would seriously doubt. I've run usb 2.0 devices off of cables that came with 1.1 devices, and there we're no problems.

3. ellism

ellism What's a Dremel?

As far as i can tell slapping the Hispeed sticker onto the cables is a ploy to make more money as the cables have the same pins and cable weight.

4. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

I couldn't really determine why this was, but I've found that certain USB 1.1 cables do not work at USB 2 speeds when connected to USB 2 devices.

I have a external HD enclosure that uses both firewire and usb2. I usually used the firewire port, but there came a time when I needed to employ the usb port. Thinking all usb cables are created equal, I used the cable that came with my digital camera. No go. I got a message saying a non-high speed device is being used on a high speed port. I thought I got ripped off and instead got some external hd enclosure that was only usb 1.1 compliant. Then I remembered that the enclosure itself came with a usb cable. Grabbed it, plugged it in, and voila! It worked at USB2 speeds! Both cables worked, just one worked at usb1.1 and the other at usb2 speeds!

5. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Could just be that cables designed for use for usb2.0 have better shielding. The usb1.1 cables may work fine in some enviroments but in a noisy enviroment may cause too many errors at 2.0 speeds, which may be what happened to you Jivecat. I don't know for sure, I'm just guessing. Kinda the same thing between 40 and 80 conductor IDE cables.

6. quack

quack Minimodder

I've got USB2.0 connectors on the front of my Lian-Li case, they refused to work at all with my old USB1.1 motherboard connectors, but work perfectly with my new USB2.0 motherboard. Very strange.

7. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

thanx for the info guys - im off to a fair on sunday, so maybe ill be able to pick up some dirt cheap 2.0 cables, just make sure :)

8. compmaniac

compmaniac What's a Dremel?

From usb.org

Hi-Speed FAQ
    1: What maximum speed was finally chosen for the USB 2.0 spec?
    A: The USB 2.0 specification has a design data rate of 480 mega bits per second.

2: Aren't the requirements for cables different at the new higher speed or will Original USB cables work with Hi-Speed USB?
    A: Fully compliant Original USB cables will work fine at Hi-Speed USB speeds. USB cables are not all fully Original USB compliant and it is important to evaluate cables that you intend to include in your products. The USB-IF has started a program for accurately testing cables to make it easier to pick a good quality USB cable that will work correctly for both Original USB now and Hi-Speed USB in the future. You should look to the Integraters List on USB-IF Members-only section of the USB-IF web site (you will need to input your USB-IF username and password to access it) to identify products that have passed that testing program in order to minimize your risk of customer problems caused by poor cable quality.

9. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

That could just be the pinout on the board, as there is no standard yet. Doesn't matter now though as you've got it working.

10. quack

quack Minimodder

I tried various combinations, nothing worked. I even got someone (could possibly be cderalow) to draw me a diagram of where the connectors should go, using the names from my mobo's manual.

I got it working by buying a new motherboard, CPU and memory. :lol: Good excuse to upgrade.