1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone "thinking" of folding on the dozer?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by littlepuppi, 9 Jun 2011.

1. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Im a a real AMD "fan boi" at heart, Intel owns at the moment but im desperate to move back , so am in the process of converting my old rig to a dozer... This will mean, this winters folding will be done on AMD - for better or worse.

Looks like 8 "real" cores - so was quite excited about the prospect of BIGADV for the first time - however this new "beta" seems to want 12... doh for the uber points.

Anyhow, I know there are no figures on price , and we are yet to see what it can do, but is anyone else thinking of an AMD adventure?

LP

PS im still stalking you all in here ! :)

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

AMD still don't have hyperthreading?

3. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Nope, been looking at the architecture though and it looks like it will be doing a hyperthreading equivalent ie one core sudo combining 2 operations under the covers, but this wont manifest itself in the OS seeing 2 cores.

4. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Looking forward to seeing what it'll do, but can't justify another machine at the moment, so it'll have to be astonishingly good before I consider it as a real possibility. Every delay makes me less enthusiastic.

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Since my gaming PC seems to be on folding duties these days (started gaming using onlive and max payne on my netbook) I've considered folding on BD when it drops, if its good enough. It really depends how it compares to intel tho. I still might drop a hex in my current rig and retire it to folding/server duties and build a new gaming PC.

6. PlasmaBomb

PlasmaBomb CPC Refugee

Possibly, looking forward to seeing how good Bulldozer actually is (or isn't).

7. PlasmaBomb

PlasmaBomb CPC Refugee

What's your experience with onlive been like?

8. javaman

Bit over priced is the first opinion and still lacking titles. It does have 30min demos and the application and setting up the account is free. Games generally play well but the descriptions of it looking like its played through a haze is a good description. I also find that over wifi I get blocking and a drop in res similar to a digital TV not getting 100% reception but I guess thats down to by broadband.
    Lag is a problem (since I am in the UK and servers are in the US) but if you treat the session as a laid back blast rather than a precision high score gaming and you should be fine. I recommend downloading and trying out a few free demos. Each last 30 mins and when your bored you can watch someone else play. Pointless but does waste some time if you have too much lol.
    Overall miles may vary with your connection tho if you can stream lovefilm/netflix you should be ok. It isn't a bad service and if broadband improves It definitely will be the future of gaming over consoles (It'll never replace PC for a long time if at all). Even if it fails but causes improvement in broadband it's a win in my eyes.

9. PlasmaBomb

PlasmaBomb CPC Refugee

Ah... I had heard that they were going to set up UK servers, which should help the lag a bit. To be honest I thought that they had already and that was what you were using...

Cheers for the info :rock:

10. javaman

They have them in the sense that they are still in closed beta, at least they where the last I heard. Chances are, being from NI we won't get a server ourselves till they branch into the south.

11. PlasmaBomb

PlasmaBomb CPC Refugee

Ah, a fellow Belfastian...

12. javaman

lol putting it that way sounds like a swear word!