1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple advises use of Mac anti-virus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Nov 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

[cynical]
    Probably already asked, but are you sure the article shouldn't be titled "Apple advises purchase of Mac anti-virus" ?
    [/cynical]

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

*sigh*
    [​IMG]

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I know it's hard to admit you are wrong and showing blatant fanboyism after 4 pages in a thread, but just stepping away is a good way to not make an utter fool out of yourself without causing a fuss...

Anyway:

I don't know what you find 'big' in a system, but to me the UI is quite big (look at Xorg on Linux, its a huge package)

We aren't talking about Windows, but since you keep referring to it, Windows users are a totally other kind of user. The braindead use Windows, the braindead with too much money use Apple crap...

Well, thanks for clearing that up to me... As a Gentoo interim-developer I tought I know what the goals of many Linux devs (including Linus himself) are. It seems you convinced me I was wrong. Because I tought that Linux (actually the whole GNU / OSS gang) was gaining market share faster then a speeding bullet. I wonder why Debian was installed on an Android just a couple of weeks after it's been released, if it isn't one of the goals of the foundation... I wonder why Asus eee and the likes ship with Xandros or other distros...

But Ted, answer me this, what do you *think* is Linux? Because I'm 99% sure you don't even know that...

Why would you want to do that? There's nothing more funny then a fanboy making a complete fool out of himself... But I have to admit, Ted Landry is quite good with proving points and giving solid arguments... He even convinced me that I don't know nothing about Linux. I'll contact Brett and make him remove my articles, since they must only contain lies...

4. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I must disagree with you here glider.

I use windows and linux in equal measure, and as I said in a previous post, every OS has things it is good at and things it is not so good at.

Linux may be more solid and reliable from a stability standpoint, but windows is still a good OS for day-to-day tasks, as well as the workstation applications I use on a regular basis.

Given you have enough knowledge one OS is as powerful as any other OS. (usually ranging into power-user or (insert desired name for skill level here)).

some applications will always be platform specific, that's simply the way the world is at the moment.

I will say that if your comment was aimed at the "standard" user, then it would be true. the "all" generalization is what I'm disagreeing with.

5. RTT

RTT #parp

Congrats on showing your complete ignorance to what's possible on OSX, there :) There a great number of demanding applications written for the OS X platform, and don't forget it comes with a full suite of powerful tools right under the hood including a plethora of scripting interpreters and the full GNU compiler collection, as well as Xcode, a full IDE, on the installation DVD.

Don't get me wrong, Apple attracts a lot of simple home users but it also attracts a great number of advanced users too... in exactly the same way that Windows does.

And did you get that the wrong way round when you said Windows is more secure than OS X (or indeed any UNIX derived system, whether it be a BSD or Linux, or even things like Irix or HPUX?) :confused:

Yet again more great big, sweeping generalizations from you, Glider :rolleyes:

6. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

Exactly what I mean RTT, Macs do make good workstations for certain applications, as the applications they have available to them are excellent for Coding and graphical communications.

sorry to be quoting myself (my COM professor would kill me, but oh well), this comes into play in a big way with what RTT describes, both for windows machines and macs. Those who know how to use the provided utilities and know the operating system will invariably run into less troubles and get more out of the machine than your 'average joe' user.

7. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

http://software.silicon.com/os/0,390...9169503,00.htm

I agree there are lots of demanding applications written for OSX, but I'm talking about just the basic OS. I belive that a clean windows system offers far more flexibility than a clean OSX system, maybe not useful flexibility but there's alot of frill and depth in the way you can use a windows OS that simply isn't programmed into OSX. If you want to talk about application compatability, even if you exclude videogames, there's a lot more available to a windows machine than an OSX machine open-source or not.

That being said I think OSX's simplicity is what makes it a joy to do complex tasks on but personally I want the complexity of a windows OS under the hood, so to speak. Also, if your doing enterprise work or networking a large company, people always chose windows because it's made better for that enviroment because it has that underlying complexity.

Secondly windows is more secure than OSX according to quite a few articles I've read, including the one I've linked to. It would appear not to be secure, simply because your average mac/linux user never has to worry about viruses, a windows user does. With that in mind, it's not really that hard to keep a computer clean, I've been running vista on my comp for a year and it's never crahsed or had a virus problem, and I do run quite a veriety of tasks on my comp.

I think many things come down to preference on OS's. I have a friend who's very talented at programing who uses's a mac religiously for very different reasons than my own windows preferences. If there's two solid facts though it's windows is more secure if you know what your doing, and at a foundational level it's more complex.

8. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Slackware with bits of SELinux! yey linux!

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'm sticking with DOS, it has DOSShell, no-one could ever want anymore then that surely?

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I can get DOS 6 for free from university, no joke!

11. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

I use both Windows and OSX... I like them both for different things, and I'll be dualbooting my x86 machine with OSX once my new parts arrive...

As a side note, I've used Windows for years (as have most), and have had just a few viruses over that period of time. I HAVE had some spam issues, though nothing I couldn't get rid of in a few minutes.

I enjoy using both OS's, if for no other reason than to have a little diversity in my day-to-day-computing life.

12. koola

koola Minimodder

QFT.

13. Ted Landry

Ted Landry What's a Dremel?

from a technical standpoint, UNIX is several leagues more complex / powerful than Windows. That's why the world's top programmers use Macs, not Windows.

Microsoft has brainwashed a generation and it's sad to see... but once you know about OSX, (a true UNIX, unlike Linux) you'll never go back to Microsoft products.

Someday everyone will have a Mac, it's just a matter of time, you can get started at the below links... Macs start around $300 on ebay... and $549 "new" from Apple, so when you are ready to move up in the world, you'll know where to go...

http://www.apple.com/mac/

all the best mac prices:

http://www.pcprices.com/

----

14. Ted Landry

15. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Honestly, rabid fanboys usually just annoy me, but this thread is just amazing on so many levels.

Ted really needs to keep posting, I haven't gotten this many laughs in ages.

And he can't use the edit function.... lawl :wallbash::duh::nono:

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Thank you Steve Job!
    Based on your logic, """""top programmers""""" would use UNIX not Mac OSX. :)
    Now I am interested to know what defines """"""top"""""" programmers? You are suggesting that you automatically program better, have more ideas and can type more optimized code, because you use a different OS.... What full B.S! A programmer doesn't care what OS he uses in general. All he would want is a good programming language editor.

A top programmer, doesn't care with a software that "synnergizes" with something else, and doesn't care about "nanochromatic" color coding aspect of the programming language editor.. simple color coding is enough.

A programmer would use the OS where the software ends up. So if it's a Windows software he will use Windows so that he can see his project run on the proper environment and to be able debug it properly. UNIX/Linux is usually used to assembly languages, because it allows you to compile and execute the code a tad faster.

17. Malvolio

Malvolio .

You know what, you've convinced me! After all these years, it's no wonder I still use an OBVIOUSLY inferior operating system! I just thought it was my own ignorance (or that it actually was more than competent to do the tasks I ask of it) keeping me tied down mercilessly to windows! In reality, it was brainwashing! It all makes sense now.

Thank you so much for opening my eyes. I'm rushing out right now to throw away all my evil, brain-washing machines of old in favor of new, blazingly fast, ultra-modern Mac's!

Brb.

18. Ted Landry

19. Ted Landry

20. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

edit: delete this. i changed my mind, i don't want to get into this debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.