1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple gives mini and iMac line a boost

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 6 Sep 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. RTT

RTT #parp

24" imac, i love those things :D

if only i didn't have two 24"s already!

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Show off :grr:

Now that the Macs can have windows (or linux) I am more interested, but they still lack in the graphics department.
    Link goes to the forums instead of here.

4. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

24" - :drool:

still $2000 though ....

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

This link is to apple, http://www.apple.com/, hope this helps.

To be honest, i was never a fan of macs, or mac OS, but i do have to say, they do look pretty swish :D

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

24" is just awesome. But it's the Mini that I want. $600 for a dual-core... oh yeah. I was hoping the rumor would come true. I just need to try to hold out till my birthday in a few weeks and see if anything good comes of that :idea:

What a fun economics lesson (gotta love wireless and wired jacks in every classroom). Expecting prices to go down? Hold off a bit. And so I did :)

7. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Dear god that 24" iMac is FUGLY.

Also, Core 2 Duo for the Mini? Can't see anything on the site.

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

down the bottom of the page
    Linkey

9. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Though the 24" iMac is one hell of a nice machine but if I was going to get a Mac, which I'm not btw, but the Core Duo 2 will make it a fine machine, but of course its best for de-cluttering your desk and the mess of cables and large towers that surround you, because im drowning in cables here....

10. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Why pair such great resolution with such underpowered graphics :confused:
    IF the iMac had a PCI-E x16 slot for graphics I could run WeenieDOS (for games). That would interest me. :thumb: (not that I can justify the price)
    I love the iMac form factor (except for the colour and the overly wide border)

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It's just Core Duo (Yonah, I think), not Core 2 Duo (Merom/Conroe family).

To everyone complaining about the graphics in the iMac... why? I think it's been longsince established that the Mac isn't a gaming platform by any means, and the pro apps that can use the 3d acceleration aren't really intended to be run on the consumer-grade products (MB, iMac, Mini).

12. Zekey

Zekey What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, the price difference for a simillarly assembled mini (1.66ghz vs. 1.83ghz, only lacking the Superdrive on the 1.66ghz model.) I'd be going for 1gb of memory, 80gb HDD on both... Would there be any noticable decrease in performance?

Edit: The difference is a 145 using the eduction discount my Mom gets... pretty substanial discount if performance doesn't suffer too much.

13. yves

yves What's a Dremel?

There's a BTO upgrade option for a 7600GT with 256MB and following the configurationfeast of the mac pro you can also upgrade to a faster processor, more RAM and a bigger HDD.

14. Tyinsar

yves: welcome to the forums :thumb:

However, I'm not interested in the Mac Pro - It's the iMac I like. I like the fact that it uses a standard size keyboard & mouse but does away with the standard computer case. I like stealth - how much more stealth can you get & still have a full size monitor, keyboard, mouse, & speakers. I also like portability & easy setup when I would move it (LAN party)

I'm not a fan of wireless so here's my potential setup steps: (1) power to monitor (2) network to monitor (3) keyboard to monitor (4) mouse to keyboard / monitor.

How much simpler could it be? Using a laptop with the built in keyboard & an external mouse requires only one less step.

Using a regular (but simple) PC or Mac Pro setup: (steps 3 & 4) keyboard & mouse plug into case instead of monitor = no big change BUT: (5) power to case, (6) power to speaker 1, (7) need 3 power outlets so add power bar, (8) audio to speaker 1, (9) audio from speaker1 to speaker 2, (10) video from case to monitor. Admittedly that's a simple setup (not even a sub for real bass) and headphones equal out the sound setup but it's still twice the wiring mess.

Forget the desktop replacement "laptops" - I want something in the format of a 20" iMac - though upgradeable, not as ugly, and able to play modern games.

/RANT

15. Henk

Henk Uninformed Opinionist

Hmmm... I was expecting conroe or merom for the mini... How well does a Yonah fare in 3dsmax7 compared to a FX-52?

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

$2000 for that chunk of ****?

17. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

Agree. Nowadays, if you like games and are considering a Mac purchase, it's just better to get a console too and simply write off any other kind of games. If you do so, the 7300GT or x1600 are more than enough for it's intended use. Furthermore, with bootcamp, the 7300 is enough for some Diablo/Baldur's Gate/Unreal Tournament 2003/Quake 3 action, even at such huge resolutions.

Now, I'd love if apple decided to make a push for more market share, we'd have competition for Windows. But for such a push, they'd had to seriously think about some mid-tower Mac (the infamous xMac :) ), with a bit more upgrade posibilities and some gaming horsepower. That could attract (wealthy) gamers or enthusiasts, looking for a cool, able rig with OS/X.

Lately, I've been seriously considering getting an iMac and finally drop windows...but I don't know if I'm ready to give up PC gaming altogether and don't like to be tied to the same hardware for years (plus I have a 2004FWP that kicks ass)... a cool apple mid tower would be hard to pass. Unfortunately, the new 24'' iMac clearly occupies such a space in apple line and pricing, so it will probably never see the light of the day.

18. yves

yves What's a Dremel?

I WASN'T talking about the mac pro. I just pointed out you can upgrade the videochip just LIKE the mac pro.
    And thanks for your warm welcome :)

19. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

But after you buy it, you are stuck with whatever card you bought initially, right? I mean, is there the option of upgrading the iMac's video card down the road? If so, I would be tempted by the iMac again.

What about RAM and/or HD? Can you upgrade them later? Can you buy other ram than what's provided by Apple (which is outrageously expensive)?

Knowing that some blockbusters (Doom, Quake, Call of Duty, Neverwinter Nights) will eventually make it to the Mac will be enough to slate some of my PC-Gaming thirst (and there's always bootcamp), but being stuck with the same graphic card (which is not really high-end to start with) is a big no-no for gaming...

20. Tyinsar

I was thinking of running WeenieDOS games with bootcamp

Tags: Add Tags