1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Aquero Temp sensors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xarig, 4 May 2005.

1. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

I need some opinions on the placement of the temp sensors in my rig. You can check out the link in my signature if you fancy a look :D .

So far I have a sensor in the Aquatube (res) and one taking the ambient temp out at the back. I've got a few more so was thinking of attaching them to the radiators and possibly somewhere else to measure the ambient temp 'inside the box'. At the moment the res temp is hovering around 26C with an external ambient of about 26C (clammy room :blush: ) But this is at no load at all on the CPU, a FX-55 which AI.sys ( the asus tweaking tool) reckons is at 35C -this is with no overclocking yet.

I just know I'll be looking for some advice on how best to set up the Aquero to control the fan speeds. :hehe:

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If you can, I'd put one in just before the CPU and just before the rad. Doesn't give you a whole load of useful info but still interesting to see how much your chips heat the water.

3. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Hey Firehead, howz things? I'll need to PM you at some point to help me out with running 2GB of Ram on the A8N- SLI, me got one too :naughty: :naughty:

Back on topic, I like your idea, I'm not sure how to 'attach' the sensor, they are thin flat ones - not the big plug in thing (that's what I have in the aquatube) I'm thinking about using some thermal glue, like the stuff used to 'glue' ram sinks etc. on and just 'glue' it to the tubing or better still the connector. What do you reckon?

4. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Are you wantimg to measure water temps here of componant temps?

If its water temps then the easiest and most worthwile (read acurate) way would be to add a small section of copper tubing to the loop and fix the sensor with some AS5 and a dab of superglue.

5. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Not sure really, I'm more into the 'look' and feel than measuring every last parameter and taking the performance to breaking point. BUT, I have spent a small fortune so I might as well make the most of it. I've still got lots to learn about overclocking etc. What do you think is more useful to know? I guess it's pretty hard to get component temps beyond using MBM or such.

I'm not sure quite how to do the coppoer tubing in keeping with my theme.

Guess I'm just curious to look at how the temp changes across the various blocks - although I'm pretty sure I read an explanation by NeXXo that the temp is fairly constant throughout the loop once stability is reached and that normally the coolant is raised by only one or two degrees. Perhaps he'll comment on that here.

Thanks for the suggestion.

6. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Im not convinced that temps are really all that usesful full stop TBH (me dons flame proof suit). There are so many variables and alot of things that can effect readings from any thermometer you have to take it all with a pinch of salt. Having said that there would be some measurements that would interest me. I'd like to be able to measure mosfets, and ram, random motherboard areas etec.. and see how airflow effects their temps, and overclocks respectively. With respect to the temps of a loop, id be interested to monitor air in and air out of rad, water in and water out of rad, res temp, and perhaps if i was inclined a point halfway between each componant.

7. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

If you have lots of free temp probes then I'd go for before & after CPU then the res. It's not particularly useful but cooooool! :)

As for attaching them, I'd do it just before the connector. Cut a small slit in the tubing and push the probe through (if it's a thin one). Then silicone seal the tubing closed and use a small amount to hold the probe to the inside of the tubing. there is a possibility of the glue coming off, or of couse leaking which would be very, very bad so unless you really want this (or can get your hands on some copper sections to use an a go-between) then I'd leave it...

Scotty

8. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Hmmmmm, think I might just stick with one measuring the ambient temp inside the case. Cutting slits in the tubing sounds too adventerous :eeek: :eeek: with the price of the kit I've got in my rig!

Thanks for all the ideas :thumb:

Tags: