1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus RoG RAIDR Express SSD specs leak

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Apr 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It'll be interesting to see the pricing for this.
    Loving the comment, but Hybridisk seems at odds with the idea of an uber-fast SSD RAID array, don't you think?

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Does it? I rather like the idea of having a single logical drive with 2TB of storage, 240GB of which loads at 830MB/s (and a few gig of which loads considerably faster from the RAM drive.) Means I wouldn't have to shuffle files to and from the SSD as I finish one game and start another...

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This RAIDR SSD is marketed to the gamer from a performance standpoint, but HDD caching is traditionally a cost saving measure though, isn't it? Similar to Intel's Smart Response tech - allowing the user the benefit of mass storage that's quicker than a standard HDD, but without the very high cost of a large SSD.

That's why it seems odd to push Hybridisk as a feature.

Apophis54 and Teelzebub like this.
  5. Gareth Halfacree

But it's a cost-saving feature here, too: a 2TB PCIe SSD is going to cost vastly more than the 240GB RAIDR Express and a 2TB ferrous-oxide drive. If you need 2TB of high-speed storage but can't afford a 2TB PCIe SSD, Asus is offering the RAIDR with HybriDisk. Buyers don't have to use it: those who prefer to have a separate logical drive, or who only need 240GB of storage in total, can shuffle their files betwix the two by hand.

It's not the focus of Asus' marketing push for the RAIDR, just an additional feature that will help buyers swallow the pricetag.

6. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

OCZ RevoDrive 3..

Same controllers, different NAND, slower speeds on paper, likely similar performance.

Late to the show mucn :/

7. Gareth Halfacree

The big difference between the RAIDR and the RevoDrive family is in support: the RevoDrive 3 requires a special driver be loaded, while the RAIDR shows up as a standard AHCI device. You also used to be unable to use the RevoDrive as a Windows 7 x64 boot device, as the driver wasn't WHQL signed - although I don't know if that's changed.

Plus, they're aimed at two very different markets: the RevoDrive is a workstation card, and priced accordingly, whereas the RAIDR is an enthusiast card - meaning that, while it'll be expensive, it should be priced lower than the RevoDrive.

8. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

RevoDrive yes, revodrive3 can be used in win7 and win8 as a boot device :) You require the latest raid driver for the drive to be downloaded from OCZ but everything does indeed work very smoothly.

With that in mind, the fact the revo is 10-15% faster in terms of read/write performance and provided 120,000IOPs leaves the Asus unit a little redundant.

Consider a Toshiba 19nm based drive on the 2281 controller and then RAID that said drive.. you get performance on SATA of app 1100/1000 read/write with 130-150k IOPs.

All testing will be carried on by Asus and OCZ on an 8GB LBA to ensure the maximum performance for the IOPs however which we both know is not large enough for a treue reflection of performance as an OS is bigger than 8GB in its self.

OCZ have come along way since those issues, its just a shame OCZ have had a wake up call leading to increased prices to maintain channel integrity and margins and ultimately a lack of stock on certain SKUs as a result.

Its good to see ASUS have done this, couple this with an ARES, an Rampage extreme, or Maximus Extreme, and the Pheobus and you have yourself the a very 1 manufacturer based system that admitedly will look very cool. Its just a shame that the other product mentioned is the faster product and just as able now.

I wont comment on reliability however.... read that as you will :p

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I agree, seems a very untimely decision; the SandForce 2281 controller is almost 2 years old now!

Also, I'm damned sure you could use the Revodrive to boot windows, because I did it in my review. Loading the RAID driver added a helpful 10 seconds to boot times. Speedy.

10. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Oh Asus.

Like EVGA, I love their hardware. Between the two companies, I favour these above all else, and buy where possible... But their software always leaves so much to be desired... Their firmware is always top-notch, and the hardware performs excellently. But I couldn't commit to buying this before seeing what (probably) terrible implementation of desktop software is required to get it running as suggesting in the article.

Also, why such small sizes? I think most enthusiasts are now looking at the 2xxGB SSD's as the bare minimum for size.

If I see a 480GB version, that doesn't share the Revodrive issues, is fully Win8 certified and can confirm the desktop software isn't shockingly bad... Then I'd certainly give it a shot. God knows I NEED MOAR SPEED

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I am tempted with one of these but the capacity is going to be to small for my next ssd.

12. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It's gonna be expensive for sure - probably not worth it over a Samsung 840 Pro unless you need for performance for workstation applications.

13. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

Is it really worth while in those capacities? The sort of person that would buy this will mostly have a s-ata 3 Raid capable mobo anyway, buy couple of 120GB drives and job done. If this was in 512GB onwards then it could be much more worthwhile.

14. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

750MB? Pretty slow, I already do 2GB/s here everyday.

15. ziza

ziza What's a Dremel?

I like the idea of having an extra cache with Asus' RoG HybriDisk, however I expect that is is not a real cache since the read/write rates will be sower than traditional cache systems.
    I hope that use this cache for management purposes in the SSD rather than for a system cache.

16. Ahadihunter1

Ahadihunter1 What's a Dremel?

WHAT THE FLIP!!?? What jokes are you playing? Samsung's pro 840 series are maxed at 1GB per second.
    And that's the maximum in the market. Did you overclock your Drive or something?
    Or are you using a custom made crystal quartz self made modified indilinx chip in your basement?? XDDD