1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BBFC releases report studying gaming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Hmm actually sounds like a, dare i say, somewhat un-biased approach to the research. Could be an interesting precedent for others.

3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Definitely one of the more sensible reports on the topic by such an organisation as the BBFC.
    It's nice to see that not everyone with influence out there is a sensationalist Thompsonite with misplaced agenda.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Games already have a ratings system, many parents must be stupid.

What annoys me most is when a game gets slated as being too violent and kids are being led astray. These games usually have rating of 15 or 18 but the media seem to gloss over this totally. :wallbash:

I wouldn't let a 12 year old see 'A Clockwork Orange' or 'Fightclub' so why would I them play Grand Theft Auto?

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

lol, obviously the writer of this report doesn't visit any gaming related forum

6. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

QFT!! :)

It hacks me off when parents blame everyone but themselves for their kids playing violent or unsuitable games.
    Who bought them the game?
    Who gave them the money for it?
    who bought the PC/console in the 1st place?

7. moshpit

moshpit What's a Dremel?

My daughter plays the same games I do. In fact, we often play them together. She's tears it up in Oblivion, kicks butt in FEAR, rips up the sand in BF1942 and BF2 as a tank driver (and a damned good one at that), and many other games we play either together or with my supervision. I know many parents don't take the time to spend with their kids on the PC, but my little girls are lucky their dad works in the industry :D

8. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I think that the most important bit was where they clearly stated the bit about games mostly being about survival of the player, and not about violence as an end in itself. Games are a challenge, and that is why we play them. the reason an FPS is more popular than an RPG is that it is less calculated, and has more to do with end skill than ability to follow a formula. tactical FPS's are the most popular (Counterstrike, Battlefield series) because they force quick thinking and are never the same twice, so they always present a new challenge.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'd, as an RPG and Adventure game lover, take issue with that. They may be less about split-second reactions, but they are more protecting the characters you develop and design. I've never known anyone in Counterstrike play the same level over and over again in order to protect a single teammate, whereas I've gone over and over single battles in Baldurs Gate II just to make sure Aerie survives to the next conversation.

10. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

the survival bit was aimed squarely at RPG's

the quick thinking part was aimed squarely at FPS games

for some games both apply.

hope that clears it up

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Tags: Add Tags