1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Best netbook for £300-400?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hitman012, 14 Oct 2009.

1. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Hi,

My uncle recently asked me to recommend an ultraportable laptop of some description for working on documents on the train, plane etc. However, I haven't been keeping track with this sector at all, so I have no idea what's the best model around at the moment. The biggest concern is decent battery life, though a good screen would be nice too.

Budget is around £300-400 pounds (though obviously lower would be nice if possible!). Thanks in advance for your help :)

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

There's a new batch of Ion-based (fancy new platform, in case you haven't heard of them) netbooks coming in a few weeks. I'm not sure what the battery life is like but they look pretty special.

hitman012 likes this.
  3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

If you need one asap, Acer's AO751H is pretty great. Beautiful 11.6" screen, 2GB ram, 250GB hdd, great battery life, yet as cheap as my Eee PC 4G when I bought it..

Built and designed better as well. :-o

hitman012 likes this.
  4. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

As far as I'm aware, the EEEPC 1000HE and Samsung N110 were the leaders back in June. I went ahead and got myself the Samsung, and love it to bits. Both have claims of ~8-9 hrs battery life.

hitman012 likes this.
  5. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Aye, Samsung always seem to come out well in tests. IIRC their strong points include a good battery life and a decent keyboard.

Hardware-wise they are all pretty much identical and you can easily upgrade the N-series atom to 2GB if it only comes with 1GB. I think the Z-series atom is a little bit trickier as the memory is soldered (it is on the Sony P anyway so I assume it is on others). Saying that, the Z series does offer marginal benefits such as a lower power consumption, and a potentially 'better' graphics platform (for video playback) should Intel be able to write decent drivers for it.

Ion is clearly going to blow any Intel integrated graphics out of the water, but until some reviews come out I assume that battery life will be sacrificed.

If you can hold out for a couple of months (maybe less), then the new pine trail platform will be out. This should (in theory) bring better performance at a lower cost. Also, being two chips rather than three, it should use less power (increasing battery life and allowing for smaller chassis to be manufactured).

hitman012 likes this.
  6. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

samsung nc10

7. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

The N110 replaced that model it and has a larger touchpad and better batterylife if I'm not mistaken.

8. crosshair

crosshair It's life Jim but not as we know it

Defo the N110. Just bought one for my wife and it's a great bit of kit. Looks cool too.
    One thing tho', the glossy screen isn't to everone's taste, but it's easy to keep clean.

hitman012 likes this.
  9. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll look into the models you suggested :thumb:

10. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

awesome, i might buy that one myself. My sister has the NC10...but it has one weird problem that she recently told me about, she gets a white screen from time to time.