1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Best way to remove old paint (Acetone works great!)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by morris8809, 25 Nov 2008.

1. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

hey all bit-techers, on my current pc case im in the process of modding im trying to figure out how im going to clean off all of this old paint that i dont want on it. I have been in search locally to find someone who has a sandblaster but i have not had any luck as of yet. So my next best option would be chemical strippers so what would you all recommend? thanks in advance.:confused:

Last edited: 26 Nov 2008
  2. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Chemical strippers work well as long as it isn't powder coated. Another option is to use a heat gun to get it off, of course this only works on metal components.

3. daveppeters

daveppeters What's a Dremel?

There's always the tried and true method - Sandpaper!!

4. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Paint is often soluble with elbow grease.

5. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

i have been sanding on the parts that are easily sandable but some of the parts like the rear i/o plate area and pci bracket are giving me a headache with all of the tight areas.

6. marcus000

marcus000 Watercooling Mad

Nitromorse is the easiest option, paint it on and peel off the old paint.
    You need a decent area to do it though because it's strong stuff.

Alternatively, some paints like Halfords spray cans can be removed with some decent paint thinners providing it hasn't been clear coated. :)

7. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

well i figured out probably the easiest way to remove paint. Use acetone. You just pour it on the paint you want to remove, wait about 10-30 seconds and wipe away with paper towel. no more paint. It worked on the old paint thats on the case and even took the primer off. Now i need to try it on the factory grey chassis paint to see if it will remove that. :idea::clap::rock: