1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bit-tech 2017 refresh feedback: Forum usability questions (Please go here first!)

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Dogbert666, 27 Jun 2017.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I've a request: just like the old forums, when quoting a post that includes quotes, those quotes are automatically stripped out. Now, I understand that you might want to limit massively nested quotes, but even one layer of nested quotes would be nice to have.

MadGinga likes this.
  2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

+1

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You mean like this?

MadGinga likes this.
  4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aye, that's the badger.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Using on mobile tonight, is it just me, my phone or user error but I was in the mod section and the first page of some threads scrolled on for an eternity?

Are pages limited by post count or space? I guess posts that are just uber full would explain it.

6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

20 posts mate

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ah ha ta, just must be 20 fat posts in those threads - would explain why i've only seen it in the mod section.

8. MLyons

yh that section has some really long posts. They actually hit a limit i had in place so i had to tweak some things.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Any update on Tapatalk?

10. MLyons

Alot of yesterday was spent talking about it and i was given the go ahead at the end of the day so plan is to install it today.

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Excellent, thanks for the update.

12. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I've been trying to find an old example of this, but I'm pretty sure the old forum had a "Last Page" button for threads with many pages. I tend to navigate to the last page of a thread with that. Hovering my cursor below a title to make the invisible page numbers appear isn't as nice (although I could get used to it).

13. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Here's an example:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20160318114117/forums.bit-tech.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8

I'd quite like the "Last Page" link to be present, or even for the page numbers to always be visible.
    It's not the end of the world if it can't be fixed, it's just a nice thing to have.

14. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

as and when it's live, it's nearly exclusively for you... please feel the love.

We looked at how many active users interact with us via Tapa and it's........

its......

well... you know the fingers on both hands? it's......

well........

you could lose both thumbs and still be ok in the counting stakes....

and both little fingers.....

MLyons likes this.
  15. MLyons

Ahh so it's on the thread list. Yeah this seems like something i can whip up. I'm working on backend stuff atm but once that's done I'll look into it.

d_stilgar likes this.
  16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Really? I thought it was more popular than that given that it is a very quick and easy way to browse multiple forii (?)...

17. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Thanks! Weird how a small habit toward a feature like that can mess up my browsing now, ha.

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have quite a few threads on my watched list but since the 2017 'refresh' I rarely get the usual email notification. If I was never getting one then I would have assume that this was the new way to do things, but it is very haphazard as to if I get notifications though 9 times out of 10 new posts do show up in my alerts notification on the forum.

19. MLyons

So if you use the page number buttons below the posts they should always display the last page. Although it's different to the old forum I think it's as close as i can get. As always I'll keep working on it.

So just to confirm the alerts in the forums work most of the time and email notifications barely work?

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

That's pretty much right. Here is an example I got a notification of your post via email but not one for a the last 4 posts on the Whats ruining your life right now, to which I contributed earlier today.