1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Bit-tech builds the Lego Star Destroyer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 2 Mar 2012.

1. Bionic

Bionic What's a Dremel?

Epic win!

But,

Can We have a new hardware buyers guide now? If you've time to build lego, there must be time to research some hardware?

2. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

Wow! That's fantastic, epic and gorgeous!:jawdrop:

And I thought I done the most fun thing with LEGO this week :grr: you win this time.

3. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

4. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Can you water cool it?

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

New buyers guide reads as thus

Don't

Ivybridge isn't out yet, not all the GPUs are out yet, new Intel mobo chipset isn't out yet. All are coming soon and will make current purchases look silly.

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Ex-editor James Gorbold bought this - perhaps he's let us play with it?

7. K404

K404 It IS cold and it IS fast

Death Star scale is a little off :p

My Project Supervisor at uni had his office full of Star Wars lego. First time I ever walked in, I had to stop for about 20 seconds and take it all in before I could continue. He was sat in his chair with a kinda "I SO rule" look on his face :D

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The price isn't hard to figure out. As a rule of thumb, LEGO models are 10 cents/piece. For larger models you can expect to add a bit more on top, but the formula is surprisingly accurate. Also, a geek with any amount of self-respect knows that LEGO always give you a couple extra bits. :p

My sister, in an effort to prove a point, bought my daughter one of the new LEGO Friends sets. It came with a Star Wars blaster. I'm not sure what the girl is supposed to do with the rabbit, but I can only presume stew is on the menu.

Nice build, guys. I'm so very jealous. When I first saw the article, I had this image of you pouring all the pieces out on the floor and rolling around in them a la Scrooge McDuck.

9. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

As someone who was raised on lego and still worships its awesomeness i say......

I. WANT. THIS. SOOOOOOOOO. BAD!!!!!!!!!

10. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I am quite tempted to pick up one of the really huge kits off ebay, build it, then sell it on ebay again.
    Ok, I might loose a few quid, but it'd be worth it :)

11. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

And nobody noticed all the bottles of booze in the corner of the room?

12. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

God, I wish I had the money...

More pics plz?

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

That is totally brilliant!

14. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Wait, it's *that* expensive? Jeez, and I remember $100 USD used to be the high end for Lego sets. Bunch of criminals.

15. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah, last year I bought about 30KG's of Lego from eBay, its quite cost effective, if you dont mind washing it and sorting it all, but then realised that I lacked any imagination to build anything because it all got taken away from me.

16. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

:( <- This. You forget that when you were at the age to enjoy Lego, you also had a child's imagination to go with it...

This article also brought back my memories of playing with the stuff as a child. The pinnacle of my Lego building experience was building one of those technik cars, with the working piston engines and steering. Excellent stuff, and an excellent Bit-tech article.

17. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Cool, I love a good jigsaw. Not sure that I could justify one of those though, I'm struggling to find space for my next PC (or 3) and that doesn't look strong enough to mod for holding one (well, OK, I COULD use super glue, but I'd probably end up with bits of lego stuck all over me :D)

18. Deders

Deders Modder

So this is what they pay you for......? Skills!!!

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I find your lack of Lego skills disturbing...
    The official SSD is an alright set, but the flat bottom is awful. I've seen a modified version that does it properly, inverting the bottom section so it is studs down, with a slight V shape, which also pushes the engines to the correct orientation.

As Lego's 'ultra-realism' UCS (Ultimate Collectors Series) sets go, the SSD is one I won't pick up. The best of the bunch so far has been the minifig Millennium Falcon (which is currently over £1200 on eBay!) which is masterpiece, followed by the Imperial Star Destroyer.

However, this is what I knocked up over Christmas, around 5500 pieces. The Prequels may be a bit naff, but the Venator is an awesome ship design:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Mar 2012
  20. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

well it's time for me to find job where i'll been paid for making executor class superdestroyer...
    **jelouse*

Tags: Add Tags