1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Blurred moon shots

Discussion in 'General' started by legoman, 1 Jan 2018.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Moon appeared rather large in the sky this evening so I thought give it a whirl take a few photos.

Only did a couple as cloud was rolling in. Question is, why so blurry?

Also sorry its not centred my cheap mini tripod refused to stay put, small body camera an big lens at full optical zoom :naughty:

[​IMG]Super moon Jan 01 2018

Camera is an Canon EOS-M lens is a EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM set to manual focus zoomed to 250mm and forced to what I believed was infinity F Stop to 11, ISO100, Shutter at 1/125. Left the link up some some smarter person than me can look at the EXIF data. I did try with auto focus but the camera was having none of it.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Is it actually blurry? Seems okay to me.

Not saying I'm right - a second or third opinion would be good!

3. veato

veato I should be working

I don't think it's blurry. I think there's no too much detail on the moon itself but that will only be remedied by a longer focal length to get in closer.

4. legoman

I guess, must just be the limit of the lens cant justify buying a longer lens/mirror lens or telephoto convertor. More annoying was the cheapo mini tripod that couldn't deal with the weight of the lens.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I know zilch about photography but this is down to my inability to retain new information these days and I have spent a fair bit on cameras only to sell them on because I could not get to grips with them, But one thing that did stick was get a half decent tripod if you need to take this sort of shot. I find it very useful to video a squirrels antics whilst trying to get at the peanuts in a bird feeder.

6. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

At that zoom level, upper level winds and humidity in the atmosphere starts to become an issue; it's why most ground observatories are on high mountains and/or in deserts. The moon, by it's nature sort of looks like it's had a blur filter applied to it, so expecting a sharp looking image is unrealistic (unless you're good in photoshop).

7. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

It could be a few things. Focusing on the Moon can be tricky, but manual is the way to go (don't know much about the EOS M, but if it has a live view finder zoom in very close on that and watch it closely as you manually tune focus). Also, shutter speed could be a touch higher. Believe it or not the moon is moving quite fast! You can really see this when zooming in through the view finder.

I am assuming you used a tripod? Make sure you set a good 10 second timer on the shot because it takes more than 2 seconds for the camera and tripod to settle down after you press the shutter.

8. legoman

The EOS-M is pretty much an 650D minus the optical view finder so you have to rely on the display. I'll have a go with the shutter speed next time the celestial's allow!

Tripod wise it was a terrible gorilla grip copy which simply could not take the weight of the lens. It was though set to a 10s timer which was useful with how poor the tripod was with it wobbling so much. Ive since picked up a remote shutter for the princely sum of £5 so that will solve some issues.
    My usual tripod is a Hama Star 700 was too large to sit on the sill of the bathroom window.