1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CableCARD ready HTPCs coming soon!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 21 Mar 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

So what is being said in the article is that now for the first time there are Digital Sat and cable PCI cards that will take a Common Interface and smart card thus allowing to you view Pay TV services without the need of a set top box?

I may have missed somthing but if thats what is being said then im afraid its incorrect.
    Twinhan has a range of cards for Sat (DVB-S) Cable (DVB-C) and Terrestrial (DVB-T) that allow the use of a smart card.

the sat tuner can be found HERE

and you can get it from different sources although they are from the continent :sigh:

these bods sell it (found using google)

EDIT:: just done some searching and that CableCARD thing is somthing new to me! I wonder if itll fit into the product above that ive mentioned?

EDIT2:: Just remembered as well that there is already a way of getting access to the scrambled screen if you have a digital TV card. I believe the program is called "Poor mans CAM" its an emmulator that provided you have a legal smartcard (and reader) itll emulate the Comman Access Module (Nigra, SECA etc.) and decrypt the signal.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2007
  3. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

MPAA always spoil our fun, I've been looking forward to a digital tuner which accepts smartcards. I doubt that the BIOS lock will last very long in the hands of a hacking group.

4. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

You mean something like sasc-ng, which is a SoftCam (Software emulated Conditional Access Module) implemented as a "Virtual" DVB card, so even if your software doesn't support SoftCAM directly (Many don't, for legal reasons, as SoftCAMs have dubious legality in most places, though are just fine and dandy here in Canada) it won't know/care that the CAM you're using isn't an actual physical card.

SoftCAMs are legal here in Canada because of a wonderful law we have. If someone beams a radio/tv/satellite signal onto your property, and there is no retail or legal way to buy it (Like Dish Network, who do not accept Canadian subscribers), it is perfectly legal for you to descramble and view the signal, as you are in no way defrauding the company supplying the signal ('cause you can't get it anway).

5. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

If that is true, that is pretty cool.

6. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Bingo, thats exactly what i mean! I currently own a DBox2 and use it for streaming Video and Music to my TV over my network. That COULD have the ability (if i enabled it and had access to Virgin Media's Cable network) to view encrypted channels using its built in SoftCAMS such as mgCAM.

And thats just fantastic, always good to hear that there are some sensable people out there in this world. :clap:

Disclaimer, Stealing TV is BAD (VERY BAD) and is illegal in the UK. its just not worth the time or the effort.

7. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Stealing? I guess we're also stealing the radio too.

Am i the ONLY one of us all who is appaled by the "oem only" crap?

8. sinizterguy

No. But I am sure something or the other will turn up.

9. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

I think i need to clarify the point i was making. In the UK its classed as stealing if i WERE to un-encrypt pay for TV so that i could watch it for free. In canada there are different rules and it could be different.

On the "OEM only" notation i too am very appaled by it.

10. Sord_Fish

Sord_Fish What's a Dremel?

Now all they need to do is a sky version!

I think the oems only rule is apceptable for now mainly as they get to be guinea pigs, but im sure they will eventually be selling them retail once they've locked the content down.

11. sinizterguy

Sky or Virgin - Either should be OK.

12. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

well they do, but the problem at the moment is that the software for it all to work together is a bit.....naff

But if you REALLY fancy it, you need one of those DVB-S or DVB-C cards that have a CI (common interface) slot. Then you need a CAM to fit into said slot and then you can use your virgin or sky digital card which is placed into the CAM.

13. Sord_Fish

Sord_Fish What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info! I didn't know the you could get a sky compatible CAM. I've read about them when i was researching my HTPC and thought it was for just fta and not sky.

I think when i upgrade to play HD i think i'll be checking them out.

Tags: Add Tags