1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware CableMod PSU Cable Kit Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 19 Jan 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I'd really like to try these, so out of the compatible PSU's are any platinum rated ? and which one would you recommend around the 600-750 watt region ?

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Most of the seasonic models listed in their compatibility chart are platinum. Unless you are going for tri sli or something, one of the seasonic fanless 460w or 520w should do you perfectly.

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Thanks IvanIvanovich, I thought maybe seasonic, the compatibility list had me a touch confused with the model numbers for a while but I think I get it now.

I'm not running SLI or anything, just a single gtx 970 in a mini itx case so i'll take a look at the 460 and 520. Cheers man.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Hm, I remember paying £40 for my Corsair kit (red for the AX750) rather than £70!

However, the Corsair kit is indeed quite stiff and hard to bend, which causes a few problems. Might look at these for the summer rebuild...

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Why can we still not buy these as individual cables?

Saves money for us and resources for them.

7. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Wish my PSU was compatible, the quality for price looks very very good. None of this pressed tube rubbish either. Looks like they spent quite a bit of time getting the custom spec paracord just right.

b1g-d0g likes this.
  8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If you pay attention, and have a pin puller... just pop the wires out of the plastic connectors and re-order them so they are correct for your modular psu. Still a lot less hassle than building up cables from scratch. Another thing, many PSU are rebadged things made by the same OEMs... so they could actually be the same thing as one of those on the list, or at least if they are made by the same OEM share a compatible pin out.

9. jimbok11

jimbok11 What's a Dremel?

10. zvonkorp

zvonkorp What's a Dremel?

i'd buy these immediately if someone could confirm that underneath the sleeving they are using 16gauge wire & NOT 18awg gire like cheaper modular power supplies boast plentifully, not so much the high end ones. for some reason as ive found out last year some pretty critical wires i'd say (why would +12v ever be carried by a flagship power supply on anything but 16awg wire anyway???) are still 18ga even on flagship psu's like the ax1200i digital 80+ platinum i "supposedly upgraded" to from a thermaltake 1250watt 80+ silver psu which- for some reason, actually had 16awg wires on every individual wire for ALL the power connectors - go figure, as the reviewer here said guess you can't always get everything we want, the ax1200i's all flat black cables are littered with a mix of both 18&16awg wires on the same connectors.

if anyone somehow coud get a look at the identification markings on the wire under the sleeving who owns a set of these cables please - do respond here if they are 16 or 18awg and if so on the 16awg, is it consistent throughout the whole kit? i can understand using thinner cheaper wires for some of the peripheral cables but pci-e and eps power cables i'd order now if someone can confirm the quality & uniformity i'd expect by purchasing this product

11. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

All I can suggest is to send them a message to confirm, they were very fast responding to my queries. http://cablemod.com/support/

I've finally got my set, after changing PSU *facepalm* and I'd give them about a 8/10. The quality is very decent but not perfect, the braid seems to "fluff" quite easily. Fine if you take care of them but I'd never suggest buying a second hand kit without photos. Some had fluff coming off them out of the bags. They do work out good value for money though.

My biggest gripe by far is the design of the PCI-E cables, I know I'm being picky but the perfectionist in me dislikes 6+2 cables. With an SLi setup you either have to use the daisy chain setup (not great if your cards are close together like mine) or the 6+2 Pin cables. The daisy chains do the +2Pins as an extra cable run right from the first PCI-E connector, which is great but they are still daisy chains. It would be fine if the individual cables did the +2Pins the same way, but they don't, its 6 cables to the connector and then 2 ugly short stubby cables for the extra to pins out of the connectors. My BitFenix extensions look so much cleaner and are easier to install because they are solid 8-Pin connectors.

I do prefer replacements over extensions though, especially in my case where cable management is a pain and the PSU is in plain view. In an ideal world where money and time wasn't an object I'd pay someone to make me some to order though.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2015
  12. mstrmind5

mstrmind5 What's a Dremel?

I do like the look of these.

Tags: Add Tags