1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2 preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 25 Jun 2012.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

To be fair, World At War was actually quite good. I enjoyed it immensely. Just because there was a theme within it. That and it reminded me of a gritty film.

2. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

Hmm... I may be of the minority here, but I do and have enjoyed all of the COD games. Let me elaborate.

I have come from the UK, with fast internet and all the bells and whistles of a modern society, but now I live in Africa, where multiplayer gaming is nigh impossible. The reasons for which are pretty obvious, and my lament for such is not for this comment...

So, what I do enjoy is a bit of casual FPS gaming, and no matter what games you play, most of those mentioned here are geared towards the multiplayer aspect, and I do not want that to stop, but merely point out that there are plenty of us in this world who do not, and cannot play multiplayer, and that's where COD shines.

I have played COD4:MW, COD:MW2 and Black OPs to death, that is, through and through each time upping the difficulty, and I love them. Sitting up here in my little house on Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, on my Dell Inspiron N5110 with GT525M (overclocked to GT555M speeds of course) and my little laptop cooler base fan thingy, nothing pleases me more at night than to play through a few levels of COD with my Sennheisers (OK, maybe I need to get out more and speak to women?) and see Soap triumph again as we plod through Chernobyl, or save the presidents ass in Black OPs.

In a nutshell, this "COD is the same old same old, tired, bash bash bash" is in itself a bit tired, and reminds me of why I left the UK in the first place. There are some of us that enjoy these things.

Just my 2 cents.

Off the record, Joe, generally your reviews are what I go by in terms of which games I bring out to Africa with me each year, but this review has left me cold to your opinions.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I wouldn't say that CoD has anywhere near a good single player experience. It pales in comparison to games made for single player specifically..

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I still enjoy CoD, great way to relax whilst gaming and to play with friends either co-op or by taking turns.

bF3 is great but they both have their places.,

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have been a gamer for many years, only when i played in a 360 did i pick up fps games and then to pc. I haven't played Call Of Duty in a long time. I actually started to suck after playing Bad Company 2 for so long. Having seen the CoD kiddies in action and knowing what to expect i most likely will never play a CoD game again. BF3 is much better but that's simply because i like blowing tanks up. The whole hackers thing Ian amusing. I never saw a hacker on 360 and have only seen a few in BF3. But hackusations are always full of lol. Ask Telltaleboy, he jets he owns he gets called a hacker.

6. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Not a RE-view, it is a PRE-view.
    Meaning he got a taste of what we'll be given and his considered personal view was a reasoned and explicable "meh...no thanks" with a lingering after-taste of <insert personal offensive boiled vegetable flavour>.

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

I most likely get it purely for zombie mode

8. MachineUK

MachineUK What's a Dremel?

I agree......downloaded super meat boy the other day(yes because of the film!).......and I cant put it down, love the retro style and learning curve. Its a really fresh change from todays modern games. Even games like the witcher 2 and skyrim cant compete with SMB for my time atm!!

9. Adis

Adis What's a Dremel?

I'm not much of a FPS gamer I'm more in the strategy and rpg games but for me MW3 > BF3
    For me COD is a change from my usual games like NFS is and they don't have to invent anything new they just need to refine what they do best.
    However I may skip this one as i skipped COD BO it just didn't give me the same satisfaction that MW have given me in MW1/2/3

10. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

I realised I'd put review instead of preview almost immediately, then we had a power cut and I lost internet, so couldn't update until now.

Anyways, Personally I am looking forward to this. I quite like playing through COD games, even if they are samey samey as before. I'll retract my hater remark.

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

You buy COD for the singleplayer? Even in MW, which is by far the best in the series, I can't help but think that'd be poor value for money.

If I was ever going to recommend a singleplayer game, COD would not be it.

12. MachineUK

djDeath likes COD and Joe prefers MW.............Rock, Paper, Scissors, lizard, spock?

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

If you'd read Joe's equally dismissive review of Modern Warfare 3 at the end of last year you'd know he'd grown bored of the COD series a long time ago.

14. MachineUK

15. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Do the trolls have to ruin another Cod thread. It got boring about 50 threads back.

16. MachineUK

Oooo is that me.......I have never been called a troll before. I apologize for going off topic, if thats what you mean. If not, could you explain?

17. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I dont care about the single player... the fun has always been in the multiplayer for me. Whilst not as strategic as BF3, its still great fun, and BLOPS1 was pretty good in the MP department (much much better than MW2 and MW3)... and we still play it today.

So roll on BLOPS2... some of us are really looking forward to the PC version (wouldnt touch the xbox / ps3 versions due to the controller aspect but each to their own).

18. SighMoan

SighMoan What's a Dremel?

SMB is probably one of my favourite games released in the last few years.

19. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Well, it all boils down to the multiplayer side for me. Can't remember ever bothering to complete any of COD single player campaigns. Black ops 1 multiplayer was more than playable. Fingers crossed.

20. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

Bingo. I blame the Xbox - the main advertiser thrust of the Xbox (and 360) was aimed at the guys who used beat up guys who played games in school. The knuckle-dragging troglodytes. (That's not to say that everyone with an Xbox is like that - but that those apes are the ones MS targets).

And, yeah, every game is removing player agency. COD makes you feel not like you're a bad-arse soldier (bad-arse soldiers get to make tactical decisions) but just like...an actor in a movie: "YOU WILL WALK TO YOUR CUE, AND NOWHERE ELSE, AND THEN THE EXPLOSION WILL HAPPEN".

I think it's, again, done to easily equate games with media the aforementioned simian dickheads are familiar with: when they sit down at a TV, cool **** *must* happen, or they'll totally throw their Smirnoff Ice at it, bro. They don't want to work for it. Press X, to win.

And because each game will play *exactly* the same each time, the shareholders love it - there are no consumer-based variables! Plus, the video they saw looked like a movie, and they're familiar with movies...gaming? Pffft. All they want is a stock increase and dividend, please.

Tags: Add Tags