1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Can't Get 2nd Display to Work in Windows

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Guest-23315, 30 Mar 2009.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Hey,

I'm having quite a bit of trouble with my sceccond screen, and would like a little help. I run a Dell E248FPW as my main screen, and then used to use a Viewsonic VX922 for my second screen. They worked perfectly fine previously when I had them runnin off of my X1800 XT, and now that I've upgraded to a 4850, nadda.

The VX922 shows the bios, post screen, and the 'loading' vista bar, but the second the green Vista screen comes off, it powers down, saying that there is no imput. I've tried swapping the screens around, and it doesn't help.

However, when I look under display settings, it registers the second moniter, and I can set up the second screen, but it won't put and signal through to the screen. If I restart with these settings in place, it doesn't help either...

Any help would be really really nice, as I rather like having dual screens. :wallbash:

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Shameless bump-er-ooney.

3. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Hmm so you have 2 screens, how are they connected? VGA or DVI?

"The VX922 shows the bios, post screen, and the 'loading' vista bar"
    This is in fact your main screen and not the second screen :) (or rather port1 on the gfx card)

So your able to login to vista and goto display settings all of which is displayed on the Dell (secondary) monitor?

Does the VX922 get recognized as a VX922 or as a "Generic Monitor" ?

Im just wondering if the gfx card is attempting to use a resolution or even refresh rate that is incompatible with the VX922, try setting the refresh rate to 60hz and the res to the native of the screen (1280x1024 if i recall?).

Let me know what happens.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Sounds a bit as if the signal sent to the 2nd monitor is out of range as soon as the Windows driver kicks in. Which is pretty much what Delphium already said... :)

5. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I third this.

Check with your ATi driver's and see if you can adjust the resolution and refresh rate separately from your main monitor.

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Right, i tried setting it up using catalyst, and the same... to give you an idea, I took some (rather bad) photos...:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(see windows bar on both)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(bam, VX922 goes off)

(when i restart the PC, the setting are still there (IE it registers 2 screns, but no signal through the VX922)

7. Delphium

Are you able to confirm that you did adjust the refresh rate to 60hz and res of 1280x1024 on the VX922?

To adjust the refresh rate in vista goto...
    Right click on Desktop> Personalize > Display Settings > ... select the VX922 monitor (labeled as monitor 2??)... > Advanced Settings > Monitor > ... select 60hz for screen refresh rate.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2009
  8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

[​IMG]

Yup, it was allready at 60Hz.

9. Delphium

So the VX922 is monitor 2?
    I notice the "Extend The Desktop Onto This Monitor" box is unchecked for monitor 2... you would need to make sure this box is checked in order to use the 2nd screen.

If you do check this box, but it still has no effect...

Have you tried installing the monitor driver?

What cable are you using to connect the VX922 VGA or DVI?

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

What he said^

Guest-23315 likes this.
  11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

^^ I was aware of that, I'd just restarted, and hadn't set it up properly..

Anyway, problem solved... or sort of.. I swapped my VX922 for my brothers VX912, and TAADAA it works... and the VX922 works for him aswell... so, dunno what happened, but I now have dual screens again!

12. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

I took my 4850 back due to a similar issue with the card.
    if you have a look on the ATI forums there is loads on there about issues with the outputs on these cards.
    On mine I only had one monitor. I plugged it in to the VGA port on the card and it worked fine, but when I put it in to the DVI it would not work.

I found that apparently the older monitors are not read properly by the gfx card.
    the only way I would have been able to get it to work would have been a new monitor.

In the end I gave up and got a 9800GTX+ for the same money instead.

-J

Guest-23315 likes this.
  13. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

If all else fails, take your brothers :D