1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling car radiator

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Well33t, 22 Sep 2004.

1. Well33t

Well33t What's a Dremel?

humm ive got a radiator from an old car but it is too big !!!
    the dimension are something like 18po by 12po ! is it possible to cut it :eyebrow: where people find their little radiator from car, its impossible to find little one... :wallbash:

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You're probably thinking of a heatercore. Stores like dangerden and dtek customs sell them, and you can often get them at junkyards. I think they're acutally used for interior car heating rather than cooling the engine - it just uses some heat from it. Not sure on that though.

3. Hades12

Hades12 What's a Dremel?

To cut it down you would need to desolder the end tank and then cut the core and then solder the end tank back on.

Why not use it as is, but put it in the garage or the basement?

4. hed420

hed420 What's a Dremel?

Cutting it and rewelding it sounds like a big job. Not to mention the possibilities of it leaking. I would suggest mounting it on the outside of your case. I saw someone use a old heatercore from an old 30' something Rolls Royce. He took it off one of the front passenger heated seats. It was about the size of a 120mm fan. I need to go on a hunt for one myself. If I find an extra one I'll sell it to you.

5. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Anyone know how rads/heatercores are acctually assembled, Ive got a few here that I was going to mod.

I assumed the solder used for the end tanks was low temp (40/60 tin lead?), while the middle bit silver soldered or something, I only need the end tanks off. any suggestions?

Also heatercores are for interior heating as said above. They are usually located in the hardest place to get to, behind the dashboard, but INSIDE the car - cant get to it from under the front!

6. RepLiKa

RepLiKa What's a Dremel?

use a racing oil-cooler
    there quite small

Tags: