1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat proofing my computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tanaban, 10 Jul 2008.

1. Tanaban

Tanaban What's a Dremel?

I am looking to get a new computer case. I do have the case I built from scratch for water cooling, but none of my components are water cooled right now. After a leak (for got to turn on the pump for a few hours... who knew water could boil away a seal?) I decided to take my computer out of the case so I could work on the case further in the future. So I am having to cool my computer with air components I have. It is out in the open no case just a motherboard tray on the second tier of my desk. All fine and dandy, albeit a bit loud for my taste, until I got a cat. The kitten has not figured out that he can get up to the second tier of my desk... yet.

I need a case with at least 8 hard drive mounts or at the least the ability to put that many in with other expansion bays. Beyond that I do not have too many requirements but I would prefer it to be quiet.

I have two viable options:
    One is simple get a standard case. The other is to get a rack mount case and stick my machine in the rack I have.

For the standard case I believe I could go with an Antec P182. I need more hard drive mounts but would be willing to put a drive or two in a 5 1/2" slot. Any other case suggestions on non rack mount cases?

For the rack mount case I have a rack that is not very deep. It is only about 19" deep. That just makes it hard to find a case that has enough hard drive mounting points in it. I have had a hard time finding something reasonable for a rack mount case. I would be willing to have the motherboard in one case and some hard drives in another rack mount case but have not found much. Any suggestions or places to look for rack mount cases?

2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

3. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

I can't believe that someone has taken the time to write software to prevent cat typing!

4. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

I could of done with that for my dog when she was alive.
    Mums touch pad has died a premature death.

5. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

That software is genius!

6. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I recommend going to your local zoo, asking for some big cat excrement, and then spreading it all over your computer and all your profiteroles.
    Works for me.

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Build your own case?

9. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Stick the computer in the cats transport cage? (the one used to take the cat to the vet.)

10. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

build it inside big dog, no more cat problem and you can power your pc on winalot.

11. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

For about $35, you can get a little doohickey with a motion sensor that sprays a cat-repellent scent. Mount it on your desk and let it train your cat to stay away.

Since cats are fairly hard to train, instead of training the cat not to do all the bad things he likes to do, I just had the dog learn the simple command "get the kitty!" Now one command stops all cat mischief and it's entertaining too :)

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

13. Tanaban

Tanaban What's a Dremel?

All I seriously want is some suggestions on both not very deep rack mount cases and regular cases.

14. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

So every time he sits down at his PC he gets sprayed with cat repellent and his cat then won't go near him.

Seriously though, if you want to keep the cat away from the PC while you find a suitable case why not place an upside down milk crate over it, if the holes are big enough for the kitten to get through then add some flyscreen to the inside.

If the motherboard is too long then get 2 milk crates and cut the end out of each and wire them together.

15. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

perhaps you can just build a frame from some plywood to go over the current setup and then bolt it to the desk to stop kitty pushing it off?
    a photo of the current desk/setup might help.

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

A cardboard box

I had to use one for about a month untill i found a cheap enought case that I liked

17. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Maybe not sensible around electronics, but a water squirter stops my cat in its tracks from being bad... even holding the thing up sends it running now!

18. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

I was thinking it would be useful when he wasn't around. :p I'm sure you could set it up in such a way that a sufficiently alert human could approach it from behind and shut it off when necessary. Cats are pretty quick about learning to avoid stuff like that (see water sprayer example above).

I'm not concerned about the cat on my keyboard, it's my monitor being used as a scratching post that worries me.

19. Tanaban

Tanaban What's a Dremel?

I have considered using window fiberglass screen mesh along with a wood frame ( similar to the milk crate idea), but decided to look into a real case. As for the auto cat spray ... mmm no thanks. I really don't like a coating of cat spray on a space I spend a lot of time... that and you're right I would undoubtedly get sprayed by it knowing my luck.

I guess I'm narrowing my search down to a case that is fairly sleek and possibly has a intake filter of some kind. I would rather just build my own case again but I do not have the time nor money to really do what I would like to for a completely custom case.