1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Ceiling speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adam_bagpuss, 28 Nov 2018.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Hey guys,

Im looking for some advice on ceiling speakers or speakers in general as im not an audio expert.

Im currently re-doing my kitchen which will have Sonos added to it when complete. I'm adding 2x ceiling speakers which will be wired to a SONOS AMP (new one launching next year).

Im struggling to understand the difference between speakers and really if they are any good. I could do with some input or recommendations if the below are not great and what would work best with the AMP.

My kitchen is about 6m x 4m as a general space

Budget is Sub £250 for a pair

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/in-wall-ceiling-speakers/cambridgeaudio-c155.html

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/in-wall-ceiling-speakers/kef-ci130er.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polk-Audio-RC80i-Ceiling-Speakers/dp/B00006BMQT/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543417555&sr=8-2&keywords=ceiling+speakers&refinements=p_89:polk+Audio

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

B&W CCM382's all the way. You should be able to pick them up for around £250 now but you're getting a comparable £500 quid's worth of speakers, easily.

Stunning audiophile quality.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2018
  4. adam_bagpuss

missus wouldnt go for the MB ones as they would stick out massively.

so would there really be much differnce between the £150 cambrdige audio ones and B&W CCM382's ?

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

On paper, probably not much. Similar frequency range and impedence but with high quality speakers, there's usually a depth, a fullness, a richness or crispness that you can't measure or statistise. I know which pair I'd go for. Bowers and Wilkins make seriously high quality stuff.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

What are your expectations? I.e. light listening and background music, or something more? Have you considered, or have space for a separate subwoofer?

6x4m is a relatively large room, kitchens generally suck for audio and being limited by ceiling cavities, WAF and budget, you're unlikely to find a package that delivers fidelity , coverage and punch simultaneously - so you will have to pick one depending on what sort of listening you're going for. Quantity vs quality, i.e. maybe 4 cheaper speakers vs a pair of better ones.

I use 4x B&W CCM663s as height speakers in my HT room (4x4M), though when I initially installed them I did try them out with music out of curiosity. You definitely lose something compared to bookshelf speakers - not sure whether it's because of the fact they're above your head shooting straight down, that there's less control over enclosure and as such dynamics, or a combination of both.

B&W are typically priced a smidge higher than comparable offerings from others, PSB and Monitor are worth looking into as well.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2018
  7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Good point RE bookshelf vs roof-mounted. Bookshelf speakers have a purposeful enclosure that's ported to allow a richer, deeper bass profile. You'll lose that with ceiling mounts for sure unless you want to box the ceiling mounts in above the ceiling and drill bass vents - but that wouldn't look the smartest so may struggle to convince the long-haired general.

8. adam_bagpuss

id says light listening, radio, spotfiy that sort of thing. maybe an occasional party but nothing hardcore !!! lol

i listen to the news alot and podcast etc too

it defoindaely has to be ceiling speakers as the kitchen just wont have the space to put anything wall mounted or on a shelf

9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

You'll be absolutely fine then, without a separate sub. The B&Ws have a very wide sound field, and if correctly placed, should easily fill a 6x4 space comfortably.

10. Mister_Tad

I think for a 6x4 space and that type of listening, I might be tempted to go for 4x smaller speakers, e.g. those Polk RC60i, which look to come to £252 in total. That's not to say a pair of CCM382s would be a bad choice, though.

Problem with custom-install speakers of course, difficult (and of limited value) to demo in-store, impossible to demo in-situ.

11. adam_bagpuss

cool, i think the CCM382's seem like a good choice then.

I think im limited to 2 speakers as i have a partial flat ceiling and roof apex with 2 velux windows. My plan was to put the speaker in between the velux windows and will be roughly central to the kitchen pointing towards the centre point. I can easily feed the cables along the joists with the AMP being approx. 4-5m in cable length away

12. Mister_Tad

Check your installation spots for clearance inside the cavity and depth before you purchase, and definitely before you cut.

I got one of my pairs of CCM663s at a fair discount because the person before me failed to do this.

13. adam_bagpuss

good thinking but good news is its not even built yet so i can make sure there is space.

clearance is 85mm aparently looking at the sheet.