1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Changing laptop internals - crazy idea?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SolidShot, 2 Jul 2016.

1. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

Hey guys

I just wanted some advice - I've dug out my old laptop from uni.

The case and the screen are in really good nick - it's just the internals that are pretty old and out of date.

I've got a spare ssd that can go in, and I am pretty confident that I can replace the ram, which got me thinking, how much harder would it be to change the mobo and CPU?

I know that the CPU is probably fixed onto the mobo, so that would have to be changed too.

Has anyone attempted to replace a laptop motherboard?

Is it do able or more hassle/expensive than the rewards?

If possible, I would like to play older games, but I'm not looking for a top of the line gaming laptop.

So good people of bit tech, let me know your thoughts!

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

There's no fixed standard like there is for a desktop motherboard (ATX for example), so you'd either have to swap for exactly the same board with hopefully a better CPU on it, or mod the hell out of the chassis so you could get a much more recent board in there.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, I'd just get a new(er) one.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I did change the motherboard in my sons laptop , although it was for one designed for it (fujitsu made 2 versions - 1 with a separate gpu and 1 using the ondie one) so he gained a hd 4670 and can game with it (well could its quite old now).