1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cheap Broadband with a rubbish local exchange

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by hm1992, 3 Jun 2010.

1. hm1992

hm1992 What's a Dremel?

http://www.samknows.com/old/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=MRMOB
    This is the page telling me about my local exchange.
    You know if you have one like this because when you check prices on broadband websites they give you something around £6.50 before telling you (after you put your area in) that actually it will be more like £20.
    Anyone living in this kind of area got a good deal.
    Currently on 20GB per month at £16 but I need more data, as they say...
    So good deal on rubbish exchange. Unltd or >30gb data for less than £16 per month.
    Obviously could go to more if phone is included too (line rental).
    This is probably the wrong forum for this but hey, there are loads of you here, and your all on the internet, someone must have had the same problem...
    Thanks, HM

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

You should check out plusnet they are pretty good.

3. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

Have you tried looking on moneysupermarket.com?

As the exchange isn't LLU'd all the companies will be reselling BTs network, so I'd suggest talking to BT first.

4. steel_viking

steel_viking What's a Dremel?

Feel sorry for you there with no LLU services. Do you get Virgin cable in your area?

5. hm1992

hm1992 What's a Dremel?

Nope, word is there is a Virgin cable down the middle of our road, but no junction box...
    BT seem expensive unless you go for a 10gb usage limit
    Plusnet will be £18 for 60GB so thats possible (we pay £2/Gb for going over)
    The Post Office seem to offer a good deal if we pay line rental to them. £25.50 for unlimited downloads and some phone calls (eve and weekend to landlines and weekend to mobiles). And the main advantage, the price doesn't hike up when you put my number and area in.
    Sounds good...
    Anyone got the Post Office Broadband, is it working well for you? Any other ideas?

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

cant say i know anyone who uses it to be honest.

seriously bad luck with no LLU enabled or even cable.

my advice is to stick with BT and just try to get them to offer a better deal by quoting other ISPs .

if it not LLU they buy bandwidth from BT which means usually traffic shaping and speed reductions around teatime.

7. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

I'm in the same boat , non llu exchange means no cheap braodband - was with talk talk (ipstream) - now with BT (Option 3)

8. Teelzebub

My mates with BT bloody expensive and not a very good service.

My exchange isn't LLU or cable so I'm with plusnet.
    They have been good so far around a steady 6mg and downloads after midnight are free.

I wouldn't go any where near TalkTalk though.

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

My exchange is the same, (except it offers wireless)

Im still with o2 works out around £17 a month i think for 'unlimited' usage, I havent been told off for my usage yet and been with them for nearly 2 years. My only issue is at peak times i cant really do anything other than browse the web (no youtube/iplayer etc..) although i can now game at peak times so its not too bad.

The only LLU we can get is talk talk, no other companies seem interested. Which sucks!

10. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Yes, I've got the Post Office Broadband (mainly because I own a Post Office) but it is good, the router they send you is decent, mines a Netgear DG834G and thats a few years old now, so who knows they might send out newer ones.

The data is unlimited, but my area is a little crap for speed and were about 7k away from an exchange and other than BT, Post Office were the only people I could get a decent connection with. My data usage is around 2gb a day and never been charged for any extra than the line rental.

A small word of warning, if you take it out make sure you haven't got 'extras' on you current phone rental (ie caller ID, which I believe BT offer for free) as the Post Office will put this on your line rental and charge you as an extra service, it happened to me but one phone call (UK operators only) and they gave me my money back.

If you take it out let me know, and if you do it online would you mind using my office code :D (3222381), or pop down your local Post Office and do it over the counter, I'm sure they would love to help.

Regards
    GiGo

11. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

Caller display is only free with BT if you sign up for bt privacy at home...

12. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I'm with Sky, though unfortunately on a BT line, but we're getting the same service as we did with BT for a lot less. We were paying for Sky TV anyway.

13. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I'm in the same boat with no LLU at my exchange. First of all I would say don't go ANYWHERE near o2. Their BT offering is the worst service I have ever had the misfortune of using.

I would say check out an entanet reseller such as ADSL24. Or if you don't mind the heavy Traffic Shaping and want to save a little cash, Plusnet.

I'm currently with Plusnet and it has been issue free and running perfectly. I'm on the premium package with the 60gb peak time allowance. Plusnet do perform some quite heavy traffic shapping, which they are open and honest about, but I have found it dead easy to get around this, it's all in the ports ;P
    The other good tyhing with Plusnet and the Entanet resellers are that off peak downloads are free, so between 12am and either 7 or 8am (dedpends on the provider).

<shameless plug/stab in the dark> If you do end up going with plusnet would you mind using my referer code? It'll net me a small discount in my monthly subscription (either 25P or 50P depending on the package you take) </shameless plug/stab in the dark>

14. Teelzebub

I'm on the plusnet Pro package which is only 20gb allowance but is prioritised so speeds stay fairly constant.

I get around 6mg, Still free downloads between 12am - 8am.

Apart from a company called Fast.co.uk , Plusnet are the best I've found so far if you only got BT lines

Last edited: 10 Jun 2010
  15. varkanoid

varkanoid Professional Dribbler

I left Plusnet for O2 because I was fed up with

A) usage limits
    B) expensive packages compared to others
    C) and this is the worst they keep changing the packages but dont tell you. For instance I was on a premium £19.99 package which I was paying happily unbeknown to me they rejigged all their packages and my package was no longer available but the equivalent new package was £14.99. £5 cheaper but they never told me. They will change it for you no probs but you have to ask, they dont do it automatically. So I would say keep checking the website every so often because you may find you start paying more money for a same package which is cheaper. It happened to me 4 times and I got fed up with it and left, mainly because usage limit.

Other thing was on Plusnet (LLU) I was getting 3.5mb, switched to O2 (LLU) and I got 6mb same exchange. It depends on what equipment the ISP has in the exchange.

I do agree tho that the O2 BT package is pants judging by all the complaints about it on the O2 forum. However the O2 package if you are on a LLU exchange is brilliant.

Also bear in mind BT own Plusnet. They bought them a couple of years ago.

16. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Also try fibrecity

17. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Minimodder

I found Xilo broadband. Seems a good deal with more download allowance on non-LLU. I don't know if anyone has posted this yet but to find a decent package I go to www.ispreview.com

18. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

Give Virgin a call..

I would give Virgin a call. I moved onto a road where there was only a cable and Virgin expanded their service once I called. They connected to a junction box on the next road and installed loads of new cable to get me connected. Its in their best interest as they can then get loads more people from the same road.

I get 50Mbps and a phone line with free landline calls. Their Broadband is superb. I can download 10-15GBs a day with no problems - its unreal. You get free wifi routers to boot for all your other devices. We've had 2PCs, PS3, X-Box, 2 PSPs and 2 Ipod Touch all online together. Its why I use Virgin Media - Sky have more HD channels but the signal is always great with VM no matter the weather and Sky's Broadband uses the old telephone wires (Doh!).

The speed is amazing and I do get the full 50Mbps for some downloads (it all depends on the websites you visit, and the time of day). I have tried many ISPs over the years and Virgin is by far the best thanks to them using Cable. It makes me laugh when I see all the adverts on TV by companies who still go through BT phone lines such as BT, Sky, O2, etc. I will be moving to their 100Mbps in the new year when it rolls out. Modern tech for modern day living!