1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Cheap tablets with keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 31 Aug 2021.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Anyone had any experience with things like this?

I'm thinking of getting my wife one for her birthday and she gets really fed up using her phone, especially if we are on holiday or out somewhere, small screen, no keyboard ect.

I'm not expecting stellar performance, it's just for Facebook, odd video, browsing ect.

For example

Budget is £100, once I know what's decent I might consider 2nd hand if it was boxed like new maybe

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

probably better just to get a cheap laptop

3. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

1.3 ghz quad core with 2 gigs of ram? Thats slower than my phone ... 2 phones ago

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Probably better off with a better tablet and then getting the keyboard seprerate, think this one

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Considering a Fire HD 8 inch or 10 inch now unless someone has a better idea.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Well I do this a couple of ways, my phone case has a prop and I have a small BT keyboard with touchpad that lives in my headphone case when travelling without laptop.

I also still use my Coda Spirit for this sort of thing to if I am going to car events etc where I might loose/damage the device, these are still <£100 and a useful if slow windows laptop.

This past holiday I used my portable 14 inch screen and my Galaxy Phone as dex is pretty good, if she has a decent phone with desktop experience then its quite a nice way to keep working on the phone, same apps etc no transferring of data or cloud required. If you have a phone that does this then a NexDock might be useful? Downsides some media apps block running on external screen.

Android works well with a BT keyboard so I think she'll be happy what ever route you take, cheap android tablets tend to age quickly so might be better off with a fire but I have never used one.

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The new HD10 has a proper keyboard case available for it

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh I considered the HD10 but I've decided to just go for a bog standard HD 8, I think its more than enough to do what she wants.

I bought the one with the ads as i spoke to an amazon rep and he agreed to remove the ads for free which saved me a tenner.

Got this keyboard case too as it seems to have good reviews

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The 8 would be barely bigger than a phone once you sit comfortably to use it, I'd of thought a larger screen would make more sense as unlike your phone you would not be holding it in your face.

Of course I say that as someone who has a 6.8 inch phone :D If she has a compact item it may be significant.

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

We have an old Hudl2 which has the same size screen and thought it was a good size, she'd use that but it keeps having a wobble about google play even though I did a factory reset.

As usual I'm trying to do everything on a budget.

I'm tempted to jail break it.

Her phones only a 5.5" screen so its a bit more screen real estate and its more so the keyboard idea she wanted and maybe to watch a film in the car, she also has ME which means holding heavier things for long periods can be an issue.