1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chernobyl

Discussion in 'Serious' started by smashie, 15 Apr 2004.

1. Redimp

Redimp What's a Dremel?

I thought this site was interesting as it interviews some of the operators who survived, some of them seem bitter that they were blamed yet they were never taught the dangers of the test they were told to do.

Also one of the ways to help minimise radiation poisoning was to be given pure alcohol!

2. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

i seriously doubt on a scale of antimatter there would be ANY chance of it blowing. after all, whats progress for nobody to use ?

3. menikmati

menikmati What's a Dremel?

sellafield 2

Sellafield 2 will produce 7,5 tons of plutonium every year
    1,5 kilogram of plutonium make the nuclear bomb
    Sellafield 2 will release the same amount of radioactivity
    Into the environment as the Tschernobyl every 4,5 years
    One of these radioactive substances
    Krypton 85, will cause death and skin cancer :jawdrop:

4. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Well, to be frank, mos of the radioactive materials you have mentioned won't do you any favours, don't pick on Krypton :thumb:

5. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

welcome to the world of nuclear physics :)

looks like the site got bit-tech'ed :) http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

luckily it has been moved here, by some nice people who pay for it :) www.kiddofspeed.com

6. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

It was a handful of people who brought Titanic to her end.
    It was a handful of people who dropped the bomb on Hiroshima
    It was a handful of people who were careless with the fire in their home
    It was a handful of people who worked the field before it was ready and killed the crop...

It's always a handful of people being careless... Why can't a handful of people do it in the future if we haven't learned in our millions of years of existence?
    The fact is, eventually we're going to create the means of our destruction, and it's going to be a handful of people who screw it up for everyone. I just hope that the majority of people will learn to think for themselves and do the right thing in all situations before then. If we all start thinking not about punnishment and consequences, but instead of right and wrong, we'd be a much happier planet... The way I see it, we could all use as much right as possible before we go.

7. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

I'd hardly call Hiroshima a few people being careless! (I'd continue but nobody wants a flame war)

8. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Would be interesting to compare a site like this to the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R when it comes out - see if they manage to capture the atmosphere of Chernobyl.

9. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

hiroshima wasnt an accident, it was war! and besides, it did END the war, so it obviously wasnt all that bad. Put the japs in their place :)

Titanic sunk because of the fog didnt it ? they couldnt see the iceberg, so they couldnt avoid it, though they tryed when they could see it. No radar in them days :)

I agree with the 3rd one, and dont understand the last. It is very often a few peoples fault when bad thing shappen, but thats why computers disallow people total control more and more :)

10. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

:rolleyes:

'doc

11. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Titanic sunk for countless reasons:
    It was going to fast, the rudder wasn't large enough, the water tight seals didn't go high enough, apparently the look-out lost his binoculars and loads of other things.

But it's true that it doesn't take very many people for something bad to happen.

12. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

You ever seen that picute of the little girl running down the street screaming because her skin is falling off? Try saying the above to her....

surely according to your "philosophy" then Adolf Hitler was putting Jews "in their place"

Good read that, shame about the dire layout of the site! Wouldn't mind a good 'ol visit there myself :D

13. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

Wasn’t that Vietnam?

14. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

true, it could take one person thinking a nuclear bomb would put a race of people/country in their place to cause something bad.

'doc

15. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

the war was already over by that point. but of course they needed to test the weapon.

16. savethegaywhales

savethegaywhales What's a Dremel?

right on, i hate those damn japs!
    /sarcasm

Just because you can justify something doesn't mean it was right. It was still a mass killing of civilians, genocide some call it.

I've seen this before (though quite a while ago), still as haunting as it was the first time.

17. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

wasnt the bombing a result of pearl harbour? Im not very well up on my history, but i know pearl harbour was the japenese, and that many, MANY people say the war ended the day of the bomb's.

The little girl must be an unfortunate consequence of the bomb's, but at the time they didnt have the technology to cause a big enough impact without hurting civilians. It WAS the last resort, hense it happened at the end. You cant justify the bomb's, but you cant justify pearl harbour etc etc etc. My point is it wasnt an accident :)

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It was every war in human history.

History also tells us that the japanese indeed capitulated after the second A-bomb was dropped (Nagasaki). It was a bloody war up to that point; many Japanese and Allied people lost their lives needlessly... This does not justify the A-bomb though; purely military targets could have been selected, even an uninhabited atol. Nothing like seeing an entire island melt away in the heat of a thousand suns to make you reconsider your political stance. But, as was said above, the US miltary was keen to see the results on a human population.

BTW the A-bombs weren't dropped as a "last resort"; it just took until 1945 until the US managed to build working prototypes. They dropped their new toy as soon as the last bolt was tightened. The war ended because Japan (sensibly) saw no way to oppose that sort of miltary might. I'm not saying this makes the Japanese pure as the driven snow. They really went to work in China, and all the countries they occupied.

Basically the moral of the story is: the tragedy of humanity is that people will force each other to do evil wherever they go. "Unfortunate consequence", my ass... As a clinical psychologist I could expand on human nature no end, but it makes boring and cynical reading. So instead, in Shakespeare's words:

He was being sarcastic, I should point out here. Personally I like to remember that the Bible suggests that Angels and Demons come from the same genepool. I guess we fit right in there.

acrimonious likes this.
  19. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

The war was not over when the bombs were dropped. The japanese had just sworn that they would keep fighting 'til the last man. When hiroshima and nagasaki were destroyed, the Japanese government saw just how real that pledge could be, and surrendered. If the bombs hadn't been used, Japan would never have surrendered against the allies, and millions more lives would have been lost. The bombs may have cost the lives of a city, but they saved the lives of an entire country.

20. Stew

Stew Disgruntled Postal Worker

so yes it did put Jimmy Jap and his Yellow horde* in their place...

© Battle Comics

(for those that don't know Battle was the finest un-PC boys comic ever, its something that would never ever ever ever see the light of day in this day in age.... unfortunately)

Check out Darkies Mob, makes Bogoimp come across as very P.C :eeek: