1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Corsair launches Dominator Platinum Special Edition DDR4 RAM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Sep 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I suppose they'd look rather nice in one of those MSi Titanium motherboards..but £280 for 16GB!!

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

32GB, not 16GB.

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Well you can tell by the way I use my RAM
    It's a gaming rig, no time for spam

5. Gareth Halfacree

Music loud and heatsink warm, I've been pwning n00bs since they hit spawn...

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I'm surprised the timings are so modest. Whenever I see expensive RAM with a giant heatsink and a higher-than-normal clock speed, it's just usually a marketing gimmick to people who think frequency and capacity are the only things that matter.

Regardless, I'm still not interested in getting this. When I do my system upgrade, I don't intend to get more than 16GB and I don't intend to spend more than $50 doing so. Cheap RAM has always served me very well, even when doing CPU overclocks.

7. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Collectable?!?!?, because people will really want to buy old tech 5-10 years down the line..... got a shed load of RIMMS/Rambus if anyone wants some..... £5K a stick!!

8. Gareth Halfacree

So, for something to be collectable it has to appreciate in value? That's a narrow view. I know people who collect beermats, and they're worth the square root of feck all.

I, meanwhile, own the Xbox 360 release of Alone in the Dark Collector's Edition, which I bought at full price on launch day and is now worth about £3. (I keep it to remind me not to pre-order Collector's Editions of things.)

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've got quite a few old keep sakes (original DDR2 Dominator) and so on. One day I'll build a display or something.

Wish I hadn't thrown away my 8800 Ultra. That and the 580 Classy were two of my fave GPUs.

Bindi gave me a 480 Lightning but I had an accident and broke it :(

10. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

It's not outrageously expensive. I bought 16GB of 2400Mhz DDR3 for about the same when DDR3 came out. However real world performance increases are minimal (prob 1fps) this stuff is for people that simply want the best for there X99 and Titan SLi setups.

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Given the cost, if they can "guarantee" stability at higher speeds, just bloody overclock the damn things before you send them to me!

Further, if they're individual one-of-a-kind kits, overclock each one and sell it with the speed specified.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Problem is they need a safety margin for the memory controller lottery.