1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Crysis then...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 13 Apr 2020.

1. DanH

DanH What's a Dremel?

I'm going to have a blast at this again I really enjoyed it each time I had the nostalgic urge

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pete J likes this.
  3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

My friend's been playing this on the Switch (like several of us, he used to chase the 'Very High' settings back in the day). He's actually very impressed.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I've always found Crysis' original colour palette a bit weird - washed out and pale-looking, but simultaneously too contrasty and dark in the dark areas. I messed about with monitor and in-game settings a lot trying to get the whole game engine to look right, but could never get there. Either low contrast/high gamma and looking all washed out, or high contrast/high gamma and dark areas and shadows looking inky black, or default contrast and gamma and everything looked gloomy and bland. I fully concede that might have been my monitor at the time, tho, given that this was the early days of IPS with all its respective drawbacks.

Tried vanilla Crysis again recently on my OLED TV and found it horrible, either very very washed out and grey on 1080p or very high contrast and very dark on native 4k. I think this is down to that particular TV, though, and how well it strives for HDR - a brightness and colour range that Crysis was not designed to use at all. I also had horrendous input lag, but again, I think that was somehow linked to the TV. Other games worked fine.

I'll be trying vanilla Crysis on a boring 1080p monitor soon to see if that sorts it. But my original criticism still stands regardless:

And I don't expect any remasters to fix it, either, because it seems to have flown under most peoples' radar. The core issue seems to be that the AI was balanced against the player character having cloak mode. Try running any of the encounters without using cloak, just sharpshooting and cover; it quickly becomes apparent that they're turned up to god mode to compensate.

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

18th September? Suspiciously close to new GPUs...

I'd def not buy it since there are basically no other AAA releases around that date, so this one will probably end up being given away for free with 30x0 cards.

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

it looks alright, very much like a modded version of Crysis but i can live with that, question i want to know is if the suit is going to be as it was or that sluggish bastardised thing from crysis 2/3

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Looking better, but I want to see how it plays

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Well, now that I've upgraded to a not so last gen performing card, I'm now interested whether my computer "will it run Crysis" again. (Also because after a few days of using the card, I need games to actually stress it at 1440p 60Hz. 50% power limit and it still plays most of my games at 60 FPS no problem)

I remember back when Original Crysis was released, I had a 8800GTX and it was just about playable on a 22inch monitor, the 16:10 resolution one lower than 1920x1200. It was fun tweaking the game and overclocking the card to 8800Ultra specs.

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

oh man i wish i could say it was good but its not. everyone is so focused on the visuals they've overlooked the game, having played it for a bit I am not impressed. it feels really cumbersome and non responsive to rapid inputs to the point where the game cant figure out what it is you are trying to do, leaning is now gone, fists are now gone, ADS is now gone, there's now a silly hexagon filter on armour mode because i clearly forgot what mode i just switched to. you now have to hold jump to leap high in strength mode, the whole Ascension level is gone.

oh and its running on a single core.

in 2020

no really

*edit*

it appears they remastered the 2011 console version :duh:

Last edited: 18 Sep 2020
    [ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

1680x1050 I believe? Nostalgic! My cousins used to have a monitor at that res. We got up to all sorts at their place, back when the PS2 was everything. We also tried Crysis on it but their x1650 or something at the time couldn’t handle it at all

wyx087 likes this.
  12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ah yes, 1680 x 1050, aka the worst resolution ever. I had a Samsung 22" monitor back in the day, the first LCD monitor I ever bought, and it was 1050p.

Love the aspect ratio (16:10 for life), hate the not-quite 1080p vertical resolution. 1920 x 1200, on the other hand, remains absolutely awesome. I just wish that 16:10 1600p screens were more readily available (and thus cheaper) - if they were, I'd upgrade right now.

Gunsmith and wyx087 like this.
  13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

damn straight, they can pry my 16:10 out my cold dead hands.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

But is anyone really surprised they ****ed it up though? I mean really.

16. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Really disappointing they left out the Ascension level. I thought the only reason they left it out of the previous console version was because it couldn't run on them, but now it shouldn't have been an issue with the lowest common denominator (xbox one,ps4) being able to handle it. They say it's because the gameplay is poor design, but I remember enjoying that level.

Tags: