1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dates for 45nm AMD CPUs and RV710, RV730

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

The graphics market has certainly become more competitive in the last 6 months, it would be nice to see AMD make up ground in the CPU market too.

3. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I just got my 4850 this weekend.. I'll be testing it soon. Tonight, hopefully. My mate is giving me his copy of Crysis too.. I reckon it'll run well.

4. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

read abit on a quad 45nm phenom, it beat out same clock quad intel so I can't wait for them to hit the market to spice things up. hopefully force intel to introduce nehalem mid and low end cpu's alot sooner then they had planned...but i doubt the 45nm phenom will beat nehalem as I have high hopes for intels new bus and onboard mem controller......would be sweet if they did as i'd love an all ati/amd spider platform but until phenom outperforms similiar clock q9350 and have better overclocking thats a dream

5. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Any links to where you read that Denis, I'm very interested in seeing it beat a similar clocked Core 2 Quad.

6. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

Speculation iz da debil

7. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Depending on where you look, the 45nm Phenoms range from beating Intel clock-for-clock to being slower than a similarly clocked Agena. Only time will tell which will actually be the case.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Well I am certainly looking forward to the 45nm phenoms and how they will OC, I really do hope that AMD can come at level or overtake Intel as that will help the market again.

9. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

ok, with reference to the more is better idea that the public has on graphics card memory, why isnt more better as i'd have thought that it would be? someone please give a fairly detailed answer rather than just calling me a noob,

oh, and nice to amd giving it large....hoorah!

peace

fatman

10. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

not detailed, but two issues with it:

1: budget cards are using lots of cheap slow memory. in most cases a smaller amount of fast memory is better than bucketloads of slow memory, the budget GPU just won't be quick enough to get any benefit from the extra memory.
    however, it looks great to bung a huge memory amount in big letters on the packaging, hence why this happens anyway.

2: budget GPU + fast memory = respectable
    budget GPU + slow memory = slow, but cheaper

To sum it up: crippling the cards to give bigger numbers on the packaging/tech stats to get the more clueless users who (understandably) assume higher numbers = better product

11. Nature

Nature Minimodder

well, look at le differa'nce between 65nm and 90nm AMD cpu's and there ain't much, 45nm with out change in the architecture should lead to higher clock speeds and prudent effencientcy. What AMD should do sell low... very low with as great as hz as they can pump out.

Either that or unlock those darned multipliers....

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

also low end cards usually have low memory bandwidths so they cannot effectively talk to lots of memory. That is why there is little point for a G92 based card (8800GT, 8800GTS, 9800GT, 9800GTX) with a 256bit memory bandwidth having more than 512MB memory.

edit: using GDDR5/higher memory clocks do help here obviously...

Tags: Add Tags