1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory DDR3 in a P45 board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VictorVonZeppelin, 10 Jun 2011.

1. VictorVonZeppelin

VictorVonZeppelin What's a Dremel?

Hello all, I'm currently running an Asus P5QC motherboard, which has a P45 chipset, but as well as the base DDR2 support, it also has support for DDR3.

Now, yesterday, Novatech were running a sale, and I manged to pick up 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 for £61, damn fine deal. My problem is, will it be safe to run in this board? Due to the the 1.5v nature of the DIMMs, will they be alright if the motherboard is expecting 1.65v? Are there any particular settings to note to get the board to support the 1600MHz-ness? The board itself it apparently certified for 1333MHz, but supports overclocking, of course.

And, even if it isn't possible, or the motherboard is so old and archaic, or too peculiar, don't worry. I'm planning on upgrading, so I can just hoard the RAM, and wait till I have sufficient funds for a socked 1155 system.

And I of course know that I shouldn't mix DDR2 and DDR3, i'm not a total noob at any of this stuff, just...haven't really tried with anything newer than the 2009 era.

Finally, here's the link to the novatech listing for the RAM.
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...800/1600mhz/corsair/cmz8gx3m2a1600c9.html#sp3

2. VictorVonZeppelin

A bump if it wouldn't be too rude? My order has been dispatched, so it'd be interesting to know.

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's DDR3 so as long as you can go down to 1.5v in BIOS it shouldn't be a problem to try out.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If your unsure, just go into the BIOS and set it to 1.5v, and only run one type or the other...

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

It will be perfect. The confusion comes with the new series of processors where the voltage of the ram directally effect the cpu chip.

With socket 775 the voltage goes directally to the ram.

Even in the new series the lower the voltage the better. You should get it to run at 1600mhz if you go into the bios enable X.M.P and set it to run at 1600 or as near as you can as it has to match you fSB

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

You should be able to run it fine at the slightly higher voltage. If there is a voltage option for ram in your bios, i would set it to 1.5 as it will reduce heat on the modules. To run at 1600 you'll need to oc, and choose 160.

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Congratulations on the bargain, excellent buy! Hope you used QuidCo as well old boy! :thumb:

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

It does 1600 @ 1.5v already.

9. VictorVonZeppelin

Alack, no, I didn't use quidco, maainly as I've only really looked at in passing, and am not overly sure what it does.

But thanks guys, lovely what a slight bump can do.

And yea, I will try seeing how low the voltage goes in the Bios, assuming the DDR2 voltage "source" are just carried over to DDR3? And also, to whoever who said it, I don't have XMP :(