1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Deus Ex 3 inspired by BioShock

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Oh. Great.

That's going to suck, then.

3. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

Never played invisible war, I just hope that enemies don't sprint away when you've shot them down to low health, that was stupid. Who can run away when they've been shot?!

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I liked them running away personally - it's part of the challenge. Anyone who wanted to live would try to escape too.

IW wasn't all that bad either, though it was a let down.

5. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

I really really *really* hope that we end up with a cross between the original Deus Ex and System Shock - that would be just fine for me as they're two of my favorite games :)

I'm going to continue to expect another Invisable War though - at least theres no way of being disappointed then, and at least have the chance to be (happily) proved wrong!

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Oh great, find inspiration from the most disappointing game of the decade.

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Not sure how to react to this.

On one hand, Bioshock was laudably intricate and thought-provoking by modern standards. On the other, it was a pale, wasted shadow of System Shock 2.

8. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Why not draw some inspiration from the first Deus Ex game. Its widely regarded as one of th best PC games of all time, Certainly a lot better than Bioshock or that turd of a sequel.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Which, in turn, was a dumbed-down mess compared to the original. It's the nature of progress, sadly.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Hasn't Deus Ex always been based on System Shock? Warren Spector, who created the original Deus Ex, also worked on the original System Shock and DE bears more than a passing resemblance of SS (although I personally find SS the better game).

Let's hope Eidos Montreal doesn't screw up this one!

11. bowman

bowman Minimodder

I have serious doubts about this one. Especially since it'll be multiplatform and hence dumbed-down. Don't give me any of that 'console doesn't mean stupid' pratt, it's proven itself 100% true so far so why not once more?

I might try it.. But I won't expect anything.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

you can toss F.E.A.R. 2 to the pile of evolutionary waste along with this.

13. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

That article from CZ website is few months old(november08). And CZ websites are far from reliable(that's why I stick to BT).
    To summarize that CZ article: "Eidos montreal wants to make stylish game(just like 'art deco' in Bioshock) which will be closer to original Deus Ex - emphasize RPG elements but still give chance to skilled players to shoot through fights("RPG elements won't be as fatal as in FO2 for example")"

14. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

It's always funny when developers say that their inspiration is a bunch of great games then you end up playing the game and you find out that it's not nearly as good as those games. This sort of reminds me of when the Far Cry 2 developers said their game was going to be like Heart of Darkness, but the only real similarity was that they were both set in Africa.

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I read some info in a preview a while ago, and Deus Ex is just dead to me if any of it is true.

Bionic tentacles that come out of your hand so you can scale buildings or bungie jump off the top of a tall one? Cover system? It's also looking for more IW than DE in terms of art direction as well, with all of the steam punk being replaced with futuristic flash.

It is sounding to me like they weren't happy ruining most of what made Deus Ex such an involving and amazing game, as they did with IW, and instead are trying to tuin all of it.

Sure, I'll follow it still, but I really do not see this being anything like the sequel the fans of the first actually want.

16. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

all hope is lost now. i don't see the point in being excited about DE3 anymore. i might as well set my expectations dirt low so cant be too disappointed.

17. alexandros1313

alexandros1313 What's a Dremel?

I won't go so far as to claim that the game is already FUBAR, but I have to admit that as of today I am considerably less excited by the prospect of Deus Ex 3.

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I bought Bioshock when it went for 5.00 on Steam and man I dont see what was so good about this game??? I mean ya graphics are nice but the game play well sucks... Im hoping that the only inspiration this game is getting from Bioshock is its visuals and not its story.

19. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

yah I to was dissapointed with bioshock, never finished it, seemed to get repetitive after awhile.

Deus ex does rank as one of my all time favourite games. I wonder why they don't just release a true sequel albeit with the modern touch. Why do they feel like they need to reinvent the wheel with old IP?

20. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I liked the whole art and graphics part of bioshock, if Deus Ex 3 copies a bit from that I won't complain, but if they copy the repeative gameplay or the vita chamber bs or the boring "hacking" I certainly will not consider Deus Ex 3.
    However, if they make it close to the original Deus Ex, enhanced with todays technology (graphics quality like in crysis, destructable and interactive environment, physics and so on) and the art of bioshock, then it could end up as the best game ever.

Tags: Add Tags