1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you consider yourself a geek?

Discussion in 'General' started by Firehed, 9 Dec 2004.

?

Do you consider yourself a geek?

Poll closed 16 Dec 2004.
  1. Yes

87 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Absolutely. But I'm not a nerd.

tk, that's going in my sig.

2. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

To be fair I'd say that anyone that posts regularly on a technical based forum such as this (and regularly takes part in technical discussion) has geeky tendencies.

Personally i'd say i'm 33% geek, although I'm sure the missus would disagree.

3. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

yes, i'm a geek, i walk into an electronics lab, and i start chatting with two lecturers advice on the best way to use the hardware timers for playing audio, they thank me and ask me about some postgrad's project whilst i'm there.

My year old laptop has tarnished plastic from use, and i mainly use my desktop!

I goto a .net user group (knowing FA about .net) and i get recomeneded to be Microsoft Student Programe'd.

While out at a club i talked about the morality of a free information society with a worryingly attractive girl who's doing philosophy, and haven't bothered to call her back because "she's too stupid and shallow".

I'm an intelectual snob, who wouldn't brake if some linux j'aid was crossing the street.

I feal the need to "educate" people who are weting themself over sub zero cooling of standard fab'd chips (Which most are DESIGNED to run at 25) while they don't understand the merrits of scsi hdd's and dual processor systems.

4. rankie

rankie What's a Dremel?

a geek has an intrest *cough*obsesion*cough* in computers*
    a nerd has an intrest in A/V, english, maths, etc

*a geek can still have side intrests in nerdy stuff

5. Scorpsel

Scorpsel Imaginary Time

I guess everyone has their own definition. In my world, for example, a nerd is good and a geek is the 'scary' version of the nerd. Difficult to explain.. 'my' geeks are usually nitpickers :p

That said, yes, I consider myself a nerd. Let's see..
    -computers.. well duh, I'm posting here.
    -studying astrophysics
    -D&D
    -internet addiction :worried:

However there are some not-so-nerdy things as well:
    -I'm a girl (i believe this gives me both bonus points on some things, like using Linux, as minus points on others)
    -I have interests which involve me going outside, in sunlight.
    -I'm not bad at languages :p

6. Carbon

Carbon Banned

i would consider myself an 'Undercover Geek'

BUT

the below person i would consider to be a REALLY REALLY BIG GEEK!!

[​IMG]

:eek:

7. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

You mean like outside... the bright light? OMG! :jawdrop:

8. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

isn't that how people die from cancer?

9. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

You tell me,i have 4 PC's operating in front of me, two folding, one for storage and i'm at my main computer 10 to 12 hours a day, on sites like this one otherwise i'm in my basement in my modding room (see pic) fixing other peoples computers, when i go outside it's to go get a piece that i need at the electronics shop or to my brother's place who has a computer, i most all the time eat at my desk,in case you haven't noticed my work is PC repair here at home.i barely put my nose outside, why would i do that, to catch a cold !!!
    Finish it off with i go out with my girlfriend (wife) to buy food and things and we hurry back to our machines, she works outside so she only has a few hours on the PC poor thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Btw it's already 5:30 i really have to go to bed, yep...I think you can call me one :eyebrow:

10. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Yes your a geek ;)

Although i have 2 pc's on infront of me

11. demonevs

demonevs What's a Dremel?

Well where EQ2 is concerned.... cant stop... playing...

12. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

huh?

Honestly i don't think it's the cancer that will get me first...

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

yeah, you're more likely to get cancer from CRT radiaton tham sunlight if you're a true geek. Although in 10 or so years I could imagine a VR headshot going badly wrong and causing a real one :eeek:

I've got 4 PCs in my room. Pretty good variety, all different types of procs and three brands - intel P4 and celeron (laptop) amd athlon xp (want a64 939 sli once its available... which last I heard should have been last week) and whatever a Via EPIA MII-10000 uses. in any case, too many. But only the epia tends to run 24/7, although that's because it's the only one that doesn't make me think my walls may burst into flames from power draw.
    ...does it mean anything if my monitors put out more light than an actual lightbulb? bceause the lighting in my room sucks with a normal light but with my monitors on I can almost see.

14. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

Geeks are superior. :)
    Except when we die from cancer due to CRT radiation

15. Spitfire

Spitfire What's a Dremel?

Not really no, but some people call me clever. :p

16. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

First of all: i don't use CRT monitors.. :D

second: my room is primary lighted by my monitors (allthough i use a black theme).. I also have 80 blue LED's for background lighting. :thumb: (they are originally christmastreelights, but the make a really sweet effect in my roof and behind my monitors... I still have a set of 40 lights i haven't found any place for yet..

17. Cerenkov

Cerenkov What's a Dremel?

I am officially a lady-geek-extraordinaire... which could be why I do not have a boyfriend. :p I love it though!

Is nuclear physics geeky or nerdy? Combine that with my computer/electricity interests and we'll see what we get.

18. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

a geeky nerd!!

:)

er. i havent posted in aaages :(

19. Yerg2k

Yerg2k What's a Dremel?

I vote geek, for the hell of it. For the definition: " A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept."

I don't consider myself socially inept now, but I have been in the past. I get labeled a geek by other people, for fun, so I guess I still have that persona. Oh yeah, I'm not single-minded in one pursuit but most of my passions involve some sort of science.

Soooo... I suppose you could call me a "geek" because my lifestyle doesn't consist of sports, being the life of the party, etc etc but that is what works for me, and I feel good doing it. BTW I don't consider "geek" a degrading or outcasting term, it's becoming less of a minority word and more of a "on the up and up with the times" kinda thing.