1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam DotA 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Loafers, 15 Aug 2011.

1. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Most supports are pretty easy to play, although they can be boring. In comparison to league of legends though, it feels like supports can still have a rather large impact on the game as they aren't crucially item reliant, though items do help.

Some relatively easy heroes that I like to use are crystal maiden, though her ult requires that you be in the middle of a fight to make use of it. Her other skills are a range aoe nuke and a range snare / freeze which are great for team fights if you can slow people. If you decide you want to try a carry, range is probably a bit more forgiving until you get the hang of things.

2. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

3. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Im still rotten and i have 200 hours sunk into it....

Worrying.... :/

4. VipersGratitude

Well I've figured out how to play Dota...What it took was finding a character that suited my playing style, and sticking with it.

I spent all last night playing against bots as Skeleton King, but only tonight, when I got him leveled up to above 20 did I understand the definition of a "carry". He's a wrecking ball, and I'm thoroughly addicted....

We should have a bit-tech tournament :clap:

5. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

If we can even find ten players we can have some wonderful fun inhouse games!

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Don't worry, time and skill aren't entirely related. 200 hours is just enough time to have likely seen all of the heroes and played as most of them, and if you're new to ARTS/MOBA games then most of that will have also been learning the fundamentals.

It's also worth nothing that while winning and getting better is always a goal to strive for, not everyone can be at the top. A lot of guides, that Purge one included (what can I say, I don't like the guy...), are written by skilled players and often carry much of their perspectives on the game. You're a pro in the making because you're reading the guide, while all of your Normal bracket opponents are noobs you'll be stomping on with your new found knowledge. Not how it works, sadly. Most of your opponents are also reading guides with the same mindset, you can't all be winners. Even as you learn and get better you'll just face tougher opponents and lose just as often. All that really matters is you have fun and hopefully get something out of each game.

...that's meant to be inspirational, I swear. :worried:

7. VipersGratitude

I don't actually know anyone who plays Dota 2 other than the people on bit-tech. So, I've started a little Steam group for us to arrange matches/tournaments (I'm sick of playing against bots)

Bit-Tech Dota 2 Group

It's a public group, so feel free to add yourself and proceed to storm hammer my skull in :)

8. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Just joined the group, I won't be playing till scan RMA my power supply and i get a new motherboard (unfortunate accident). But after that I'll be back on DOTA.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

9. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Also joined!

Beg to differ, strongly think that most of your opponents don't read guides at all - you are at an advantage if you read guides and watch educational youtube vids from the likes of Luminous, Purge, Merlini's twitch stream etc.

This difference was especially massive in dota 1 where absolutely no one took the short way to victory (self learning about dota), fact of life. Although in dota 2 I imagine more people would read guides and stuff due to audience the game is marketed at (compared to the dota 1 crowd) I'm pretty sure you are still at an advantage compared to the overwhelming majority - consider the number of players who don't speak English so can't benefit from the English guides out there (which constitutes 99% of them). And also the net cafe scene - a huge amount of dota players play only at net cafes with their friends, especially in mainland EU and in Asia this sort of thing is a very popular way of dota'ing. That was why dota 1 became so darn popular. And commonly for such people their entire dota lives are limited to whatever internet lounge they play in.

Or perhaps everything has changed since dota 1? Who knows...

Last edited: 21 Feb 2013
  10. mansueto

According to steam I've invested 214 hours into dota 2. Me and friends have been playing it hardcore the last few days and it's really starting to burn me out. The last 2 days I've had maybe 1 decent game out of 5-6 and it's just been a real struggle to get into it. Think I need to take a break and try something new before I come back. It really sucks when you're team is doing good but you're doing terrible and because you fed someone you end up losing. Worst part is, I was purposely trying NOT to die by staying back near towers but having 3 dive on you means insta-death. Just really frustrating.

11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

When that happens you need to take a break of a week - or three days if you get desperate - and return to Dota reinvigorated! It's a game very enjoyable to play in bursts I find, otherwise your mind gets dulled and you don't think as well while playing. If ever you drift away the first game back is always top notch, sharp mind, clever plays, awesome stuff!

mansueto likes this.
  12. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

I've played a similar amount to you since i started recently. It seems to always work that way; You have a good spell of 10 games or so where you might win 8 of them, then the same happens for losses. The only difference is you remember the losses because they can be so frustrating. I'm sure it will turn back in your favor soon. Taking a break of a day or three as Hamza said is never a bad idea if you aren't enjoying it aswell.

mansueto likes this.
  13. mansueto

Exactly what you two have said, I don't really plan on playing it the next few days. I've got enough single player games to play to keep me occupied for a while to get away from dota. +rep!

14. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I'm in, I'll pwn you'll with my super 1337 90's hax - private joke for 1 person in the world, that won't ever read the thread :(

15. VipersGratitude

I don't doubt it...I've played a grand total of 3 characters now...(always against bots)

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Joined the Steam group as well. Feel free to toss out an invite for any matchmaking or bot games.
    Between people on forums, friends, and quite a few in game my experience has been that most people read guides. I've just sort of assumed most others were the same, though you may be right and my experience may be a bit narrow sighted.

Dota 2, both with the community and with in game features, promotes learning and researching beyond what most games' communities see. The recently added "hero build" feature is another step in this direction. Certainly as the game gets more finalized and the player base grows the number of players actively trying to better themselves will only grow.

As a sort of side note, I stumbled upon one of Merlini's games spectating while in queue. It's kind of fun to watch spectator chat in those popular games. The wannabe shoutcasters, the fanboys, the haters, and the bits of useful commentary ever so rarely added in makes for an excellent train wreck.

17. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

lol yeah the popular live games are always good fun to spectate. Also I find watching Merlini streaming to be a very educational pastime, he has some great insights that any skill level players can pick up on and improve their game.

18. VipersGratitude

Just played my first two online games after a lot of practicing against bots.

Won both, but in the 2nd game our team had two players vs 5...I completely dominated - 40 kills.

I <3 Dota

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Embrace the huge advantage you have obtained from reading guides and such ;)

Welcome to the start of a lifetimes career in Dota!

20. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

Joined the group, looks like fun.

I suck so bad but had a really good game today. Looked like we were going to lose but somehow pulled out the win.

I'm just so happy I had to share the replay id: 136768359 :D:D