1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Not like he has to force a no-deal if he wants no-deal. He just needs to wait until the EU deadline. Doubt he'd ask for an extension, and even if he did, I doubt the EU would concede it.

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Parliament sitting doesn't mean they'll agree on what the alternative to "no deal" should be...
    And if they don't agree on an alternative how can they pursue it?

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Better they be in the House at least rather than scurrying away into the bushes.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Depends on who directs EU negotiating team (who would do the actual negotiation with the EU for an extension): the PM personally, or Parliament.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...it also depends on who [if anyone] does the same on the EU side.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Recently (because someone was wrong on the internet) I had cause to collect some quotes around Brexit. It is an interesting list of statements that has been gradually changing in tone.

It started really positive...

"Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the Single Market" --Daniel Hannan, May 2015

“Without our EU budget contributions, we could give everyone a 60 per cent council tax cut” --Daniel Hannan, September 2015

"There are good grounds for a new government team to offer the public a voice on what the deal looks like. And we obviously wouldn’t oppose that... I think there’s a strong democratic case for it." Dominic Cummings, Vote Leave campaign director, January 2016

"There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside." --David Davis 10 October 2016

"The day after we vote to leave we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want." --Michael Gove (9 April 2016)

"There will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market." --Boris Johnson (26 June 2016)

"Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards in any negotiation." --John Redwood (17 July 2016)

"To me, Brexit is easy." --Nigel Farage (20 September 2016)

"The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history." --Liam Fox (20 July 2017)

It was going to be easy-peasy...

"There is no reason why the UK’s only land border should be any less open after Brexit than it is today” --Theresa Villiers, April 2016

"Within 2 years, before negotiation with the EU is likely to be complete, and therefore before anything material has changed, we can negotiate a free trade area massively larger than the EU. The new trade agreements will come into force at point of exit" --David Davis, July 2016

"I believe that we can get a free trade and customs agreement concluded before March 2019" --David Davis, January 2017

“What’s the requirement of my job? I don’t have to be very clever. I don’t have to know that much. I just do have to be calm.” — David Davis 12 November 2017

"Trade relations with the EU could be sorted out in 'an afternoon over a cup of coffee" --Gerard Batten, UKIP Brexit spokesman, February 2017

"It will be easy to negotiate a trade deal" --Paul Nutall, UKIP leader, Jan 2017

It was going to create unity and harmony in the UK:

“If we vote to leave then I think the union will be stronger" --Michael Gove, May 2016

"[Brexit] might even mean that there is less space for anger in our politics" --Douglas Carswell, UKIP MP, March 2017

And everybody had full confidence in Theresa May's deal. I mean: Full. Confidence:

"I am confident that Theresa May and her team can deliver an arrangement that suits both the UK and the members of the EU" --Iain Duncan Smith, March 2017

"Only now, perhaps, will all sides accept that Britain really is leaving the EU. The triggering of Article 50 sets in motion a legal process. By the end of March 2019, deal or no deal, we shall be out. Some commentators see this deadline as a disadvantage to Britain, but I’m blowed if I can understand why. Imagine the alternative" --Daniel Hannan, 20 March 2017

Sounds good so far, no? So how did that turn out?

"Nobody has ever pretended that this will be easy. I have always said that this negotiation will be tough, complex and, at times, confrontational." --David Davis (5 September 2017)

"Dan Hannan says the bad decision to trigger Article 50 without a plan was not the fault of Leave campaign - Leave campaign promised process wouldn’t start without plan in place - says there wasn’t pressure from eurosceptics." --Faisal Islam,29 March 2019

"I just feel we have under-estimated its complexity. We are unpicking 45 years of in-depth integration. This needed to be done with very great care, in a phased and graduated way. It needs a hard-headed understanding of realities” --Geoffrey Cox 6 April 2019

“You’ve got to face the fact there may now be a meltdown. OK? I don’t want anybody to panic during the meltdown. No panic. Pro bono publico, no bloody panic. It’s going to be all right in the end.” --Boris Johnson, 7 June 2018

Hmmm... that is less encouraging. I wonder what they'll say to the disappointed public?

"All of that was made very, very clear. Don't forget that the government put out a leaflet to all households, saying that the NHS would have cuts, that pensioners would have cuts, that we would have half a million unemployed, so you can't tell me that people weren't told." --Leadsom, 7 June 2019

And of course Hunt said that businesses failing and job losses "will be worth the sacrifice" (30 June 2019), and Liz Truss tweeted "decline is not inevitable" (30 June 2019). Gosh, sounds like quite a change in tone. Anyone else feel that the British public is being groomed for disappointment and hardship?

Still, blue passports*.

* Made by a French company.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2019
    adidan likes this.
  7. adidan

Yup, it's panning out pretty much how many of us thought.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

By a drunken loudmouth dog groomer on his first day in the job who randomly tries his hands at the creepy variant of grooming during his lunch break:grin:

9. RedFlames

**in Poland [iirc]

They're being groomed for whatever happens being the EU/Ireland's fault

Last edited: 21 Jul 2019
  10. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I’ve just read the news, you have my condolences about Johnson.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Our buffoon still manages to get mentioned on your side of the pond? Because the buffoon south of you sure is trying to hard to render all other news extinct (only to then complain when the news mentions him lol).

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

The way things are going, he'll probably be PM off the back of that.

14. RedFlames

Meet the new Women and Equalities minister ;)

loftie, adidan and Nexxo like this.
  15. adidan

The whole current Iran debacle reveals the might of the UK in taking control and standing alone.

Hopefully it will wake a few people up.

16. RedFlames

I'm guessing you're referring to Pompeo basically going 'you're on your own'...

17. Nexxo

Yup, and Hunt now going to the EU for "I can haz assistance pretty pleaz?"

18. adidan

19. RedFlames

Downing Street: ****, we need some assistance from our allies, phone washington...

Aide: We tried... all you get is someone shouting 'USA! USA! USA!' into the phone...

Downing Street: Desperate times then, have you tried the EU?

Aide: They just laughed and hung up.

Downing Street: ...****.

20. Nexxo

They could always ask Putin:

[​IMG]