1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA sells rights to Mass Effect film

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 May 2010.

1. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I like how it's assumed by a lot of people (including other forums/comments I've read) that a ME movie would be about Shepard. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was about a story within the universe that had nothing to do with Shepard.

Though there is a 'cannon' Shepard — our bald headed douchebag renegade — Bioware had gone to lengths to make sure that Shepard is kept as vague as possible, probably so players can feel that their own created characters are the hero of the galaxy. If the Dr's wanted to preserve that, they would likely object to any characterization of Shepard on film.

There's plenty of subject material in the ME universe to cover. Why make a movie that covers the same story that the game trilogy will, while simultaneously discrediting the believability of each player's own Shepard?

2. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Not necessarily. I often see film adaptations as just that — one interpretation of a novel. When that interpretation does not match one's reading (as it so often never does precisely), people are quick to say that the book was way better. I personally liked Kubrick's movies. I thought LOTR was a great trilogy, and found the movies to be perfectly paced for such an expansive world. I mean, do you really want to sit there for 30 hours as a dwarf recites his lineage for the movie?

That said, I Am Legend was a terrible movie and I can't stand Will Smith. But in all seriousness, it wasn't that bad — for a popcorn action flick. I never read the original book, but from my understanding of it, it dealt with issues of perception — who is really the monster: the last man or the vampires? The movie lacked any of this depth, so as a commentary, the movie fails, but as something fun to look at — I say it was spectacular.

I'm glad the Dr's are producing. I hope at the very least, that means that they'll keep the movie to some standard and be able to stand up against the common Hollywood butchering of things.

I'm not sure how successful a ME movie can be though. The games themselves were noteworthy because the interactive nature of video games brought the player into the universe. A movie is much more passive, and requires a slightly different set of treatments to create the sort of emotional impact Muzyka's obsessed with. I just hope the film doesn't end up being cliche.

3. TFSakon

TFSakon What's a Dremel?

Quote:
    On the other hand, in KoToR I play a female, as it's completely 3rd person, and they've got great buts...
    Darn...how old am I? *sigh*

^ Like

Quote:
    And as to whom will be the actor to play Shepard, if he has to be bald, then I'd say Vin Diesel would do it!

I'm not sure how they think they'll do this but they'll have to do it well, there are massive pitfalls to going in one direction, but to have a passive character and still keep they story compelling would be impelling, and I take my hat off to anyone who could write a story like that, but while I would love Vin Diesel to do this just cos he's awesome, but it really does depend on exactly how he's written, if of course he's the main character.

also on female characters any ideas cos i can't think who might play it.

4. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

Um, maybe Spidermen 1 and 2?

Tags: Add Tags