1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Has anyone visited the station on Wyrd? Its pretty incredible. I took a snapshot for ya!
    [​IMG]

I then jumped to Styx. Unfortunately at this point I had very little fuel, and Styx doesn't have a space stations so I found myself in a position where I didn't have enough fuel to make the next jump.

Instead I went on a suicide run, Penderyn vs asteroids. Asteroids eventually won.

2. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Howdy, picked this up yesterday, took a while to get the hang of it but rolling along now, looks pretty decent.

Noob advice from a noob, I tried to run some cargo, that was a waste of time, found some npcs to shoot up instead, finally started to make some cheddar. I spawned in the Eranin system, if you frame shift to the Eranin 2 or Eranin 3 planet (not checked the others) when you get close you should see 'conflict zone' come up in the radar. The npcs are federation ships, not a massive threat but it is a bit of a free for all. You should choose the eranin faction in your funtion menu to destroy them. At the moment anything that drops me out of frameshift will generally annihilate me, but power to engines and boosting nothing can catch me

Also I kept hyperjumping and frameshifting and thinking the game has crashed, it hasn't, it appears there is some crazy lag, you often have to wait a long time to jump, so do not alt-tab out or force close the game, just wait a bit.

It would be nice to buddy up but I am currently between names so if want to add me I should appear as Commander Backer #24954 or (hopefully soon) Commander Schteeeeeeeeeeeeeeev :thumb:

3. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Re: Ships

If you like dogfighting upgrade straight to the Eagle; If you like trading upgrade straight to the Hauler. There is no reason not to, subsequent ship purchases are discounted by the value of your current ship. Not bought any extras yet, so don't know if they carry over.

4. Parge

Is that right? Might buy a Eagle then, have nearly 50,000CR now, as I found a load more gold in deep space! Full video below, if you want to listen to our idiotic banter whilst we search the galaxy for rich bounty!

Also, found this which was weird......

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Parge, I need to come gold hunting with you. Around this evening?

6. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

have the group play features been enabled yet? I was a bit confused when I looked into the friend and group menus.

7. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Cancelled my order for the Thrustmaster T-16000M from Gameseek, because Ive had nothing but problems from them.

They took the money straight away, and then the item has been listed as order placed for a week now. They never updated me to say they didn't actually have stock of the item, and I had to chase it up, and the order page has never reflected they were awaiting stock (Note I ordered it when the system said they had 3 in stock, and after ordering it updated to 2 in stock).

I'll just wait and give my money to a company who isn't crap.

8. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

My ingame name is currently ' Commander Backer #32428' which is nice and catchy, hopefully it should shortly be changed to 'Monkeychunks' as I put in the request over 24hrs ago.

I should be on tonight and on the mumble if anyone is around.

9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I had a slight different experience, in that I pre-ordered mine knowing it was out of stock and on pre-order. The date has sadly slipped with no current ETA and although scan have taken the money, they have kept me in the loop. Given the low prices and good communications, I am happy to wait. That particular and popular Joystick only seems available on Amazon but for £50.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'll join you on TeamSpeak between 1900-1930?

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Going to buy a Obutto R3Volution for this game but cant afford it at the moment, thrown out my human scale freedom and will be selling some non required stuff to at least cushion the cost of the Obutto R3Volution by £200 or so end of month I might try and get it before then but its going to be tough,as soon as Assetto corsa or iracing or what ever support dk2, instantly as best as I can Ill be getting a t500 rs I have already sold my g27.

the blacks of the dk2 are very impressive, it works well with space games I think some one at Oculus had some thoughts about space games when they picked the dk2 screen as it works magic in space games,

Soon there will be a teir of gamers really ripping sht up man by way of Oculus, in 5 years it will easily be like the difference between 1980s gaming and today, there is going to be HUGE jump.

12. Moppi

Moppi Minimodder

just got this can any one give me any tips?

13. Parge

What kind of tips do you want?

14. Parge

Also... from the livestream

• they saw the "sounds of planets" video that was linked here on reddit recently
    • comets will be in the game
    • can people own stations/captial ships? the game is supporting it but it will not be there initially, maybe later
    • regarding pvp: whats missing is consequences for shooting people. pvp is encouraged
    • group chat: will be focused on during the next weeks
    • oculus rift dev kit 2: we're still looking into it, needs some improvements
    • planetary landings: (the expansion). coming in stages. landing on moons might be first for example, more interactions later
    • imperial ships during beta: the beta area in space is nowhere near their empire, so maybe near the end of beta but not for sure
    • reputation & rankings: achievable with other activities other than killing people. might affect ability to dock at stations if you have bad reputation. they want consequences for your reputation
    • exploration stuff in beta: will be implemented soon(ish)
    • 120ly around sol: human space. after that only some stations can be found
    • no wormhole shortcuts will exist
    • what supercruise is missing among others: AI needs to use supercruise so its less empty
    • will the AI learn to dock properly: we certainly intend it to get better
    • are you worried that group mechanics will split the community? for game simulation it doesn't matter, every group affects the background simulation. we want to encourage people to play in "all" group, but don't want to block people that want to play on their own
    • the game plays in one galaxy (gameplay wise) but is hosten in a cloud
    • there will be more content and features released during the beta phase
    • galaxy map: main thing will be adding a route planner, also the galaxy data needs to be finalized. then there will be an in-system map!
    • ED will stay more than playable without HOTAS
    • larger systems will have more than one station in them
    • there will be hidden stuff to find in the universe as a part of the exploration gameplay
    • engine upgrades, sacrificing parts in exchange for specilaizing your ship will come
    • ultimately people will be starting in different locations
    • overcrowded stations (not getting clearance to land) has to do with AI blocking pads atm
    • ideally they want more than 32 players per instance. but they need to balance it
    • exploration gameplay: finding data and finding planets/stations/whatever. being rewarded for that (credits?)
    • pirate ships will offer different bounties, the AI will have ranks too - correlation between the two
    • you will be able to disable small parts of the ship by shooting, e.g. the cargo hatch
    • will mission locations be less vague? depends. some are vague by design so you have to research and look for them. some will be easy
    • it will be possible to follow a friend out of supercruise soon
    • debris lasts only for the gameplay session
    • focus with weapons atm: defensive stuff, such as mines
    • there will be no third person view to actually PLAY in, but there might be other ways to get a look at your ship from the outside
    • will any ships have transparent floors? no.
    • wipe at the end of beta
    • kickstarter rewards will be available for gamma phase
    • while the galaxy is procedurally generates they have overrides, so they can insert stuff on their own, or make solar systems be like their original counterparts
    • clouds (nebulae?) are real objects in the distance, but you can't visit them
    • Stream's over now. They announced there will be more streams soon.

15. Moppi

Moppi Minimodder

just basics i.e how to get money, what ships to go for, places to visit etc

16. Parge

Start with the first 5 single player missions to get you at home with the controls of your ship.

Then head out into the universe! You don't get a choice of ship, everyone starts with a sidewinder, so no issues there! From there, there's no set way to play. You start with 1000CR and its up to you. You can buy goods at every stations 'commodities market' - look for stuff with 'high' supply at that station and then look at their sell price vs the galactic average. That's the most basic way I can describe how trade works.

Its a really, really in depth game, so the best advice is honestly just go and play it, you'll pick it up, I had no idea how anything worked, and with a little playtime, and a little googling, I have a fairly good grasp of things now. Enjoy yourself!

17. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

As Parge said, Get to grips with the single missions first or you will struggle to pick up the dogfighting in game, Play online and practice docking a few times, which is actually quite easy. Sort out some trade routes and get a few bounty hunting missions in different systems to get to grips with the galactic map then explore......

Oh, if your after some fast, reletavily easy cash head to LP 98-132(I think) and look for unidentified signal sources while in supercruise. If you're lucky there will be some free stuff when you arrive, If your unlucky you will find a fight with some pirates.......

18. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Definitely should do some of the intro missions, I actually had to find youtube videos to understand how to complete the silent running one.

Watch a good youtube on space port docking, best tip for that starting out is go slowly (as in choose a slow speed, then go slower than that).

Be aware that the game tends to hang on entry and exit of hyper jump/frameshift, do not force close the game just give it a second.

For beginner in game combat, shift to Eranin 2 (when you get close navigate to the 'conflict zone' that appears) to shoot up Federation ship for pitiful bounties. To do this you must shift in, go to the control menu (default: 4 key) and select the Eranin faction, then you earn 350 for every fed ship you take down. You get a voucher for each one that can be redeemed back at the station, do not die before redeeming otherwise they are lost.

Most lucrative trade for beginners in my book are the light cargo missions on station bulletin boards, they also give you a good chance to explore the galaxy a bit. You can take a cargo mission and also try some standard trades along the route, I was taking screenshots (F10, they appear in the frontier folder in My Pictures) of each commodity list at each station and trying to work out profits and have also used Slopey's ED BPC trade calculator tool but this often crashes or is not up to date so beware.

19. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Prefer the below tool link myself:
    http://www.elitedangeroustrader.co.uk/#

Was making some good cash before I had to stop playing for a bit because of work commitments :)

20. Moppi

Moppi Minimodder

Thanks all