1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Empire: Total War hands-on preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Nov 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Looks... really quite awesome.

And props for being on Steam too!

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

No PhysX?!
    nVidia lied then?

Do you know if it was GPU or CPU powered?

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

CA wouldn't delve any deeper than what was written in the article... it could, feasibly, be written to take advantage of CUDA and not specifically PhysX. Funcom has done that with the Age of Conan DX10 patch (which interestingly still hasn't been released).

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Still leaving ATi card owners in the cold.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

Quite possibly, yes, although it could also have been written in OpenCL (whose spec is 'final' but not officially released yet)... without confirmation from the developer, we're basically speculating on the outcome. If it is written to use CUDA though, it will also run on the CPU (albeit much slower or with less objects).

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

I find this... funny, since I didnt bought the 4870 when it came out because nVidia claimed ETW would support PhysX.
    Then delayed the GTX260 purchase waiting for the 216 version and am now waiting for the 55nm version.
    Hopefullly it comes with the revised PCB and cooler similar to the new 9800GTX+s.

Back to the game, how are the troops and ships transfers from one theatre to another handled?

8. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

"how are the troops and ships transfers from one theatre to another handled?"

Good question - unfortunately CA didn't show us how ships move from one theatre to the next. I'm guessing you'll send a ship to the western-most edge of the European map to travel to the North American theatre (eg), but y'never know know with CA - maybe it will seamless.

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Probably wormholes or hyperspace based technologies.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I can't wait :D

It is difficult to think where they could go from here, I wouldn't say no to a Shogun 2 though

Are there gonna be mongols in this one?

11. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Too bad for the crew that its not based on the farcry 2 engine. that way the fire would only spread a set distance and then go out. Leaving them to man the guns.
    (that was a joke people)

12. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

that graphics looks bloody awesome!

13. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Between this, Dawn of War 2 and Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor, it'll be a wonder if I get any work at all done next spring!

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

More CoH too?! :D

Thinking about it, does the depth of a formation effect the amount of people that can fire? I read in your article about the thin line to get as many guns to bear getting smashed which would imply it does. I remember in the previous total war games you could have your archers in a nice easily manoeuvrable block as all rows could fire.

15. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Sounds about right to me.

16. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

As far as I understand things, it does. Muskets have to be fired fairly horizontally, so people in the second row can't fire unless the front row ducks (I believe this might be a drill/upgrade that you can research, but CA isn't being ultra-clear about this at this stage).

However, arrows (yes, there are still archers) need to fire more vertically, so all the men in a unit of archers should be able to fire no matter how deep the unit is.

17. Batou

Batou What's a Dremel?

Any idea as to system req's?

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    They would fire, but not as accurately as in a line.

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Ah, I didn't know that, I'll have to change my tactics a bit.

What I'm really hoping for is cleverer units, especially when persuing. Many, many times I've become frustrated at my cavalry running full pelt all at one guy, and when he dies they just casually trot behind the rest of the fleeing troops.

Trample them into the ground damn you! I want my fields of blood!

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    The pursuing unit (eg: cavalry) always tends to go to the center of the pursued unit (eg: infantry). If the infantry unit is too scattered, the cavalry behaves erratically.
    Its easier if you micro-manage the cavalry, make it stop to regroup, wait for all the infantry to be at the front of the cavalry and then issue the atack command.
    That way the cavalry still goes to the center of the infantry but hopeffully finishes off the stragglers.