1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC Cases Mineral oil PC build! Updates every second day!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 21 Mar 2009.

1. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Just so you guys didnt think I was dead or anything, I decided to do an update.

Ive been searching for parrafin oil for the mod and its just about time to do the oil tests so I've called the local vet and they reckon theyll get clearance to sell me 20ltrs of the stuff by tomorrow (why do I need clearance?!?).

So, ive been working on hiding some wires, routing the tubes and what not. We have a media event happening on the 20th but thats....somewhat an optomistic timeline for completion for this mod. If all goes well ill have it at the event running on oil, but not quite finished.

Theres at least, at least a months work left on this thing.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO "wheres the pics" is probably what you guys are mumbling right about now. Luckily, I came prepared.

[​IMG]
    Some double sandage and we are ready to hide some wires, it needs a heat treatment though.

[​IMG]
    Did a bit of bending which is always fun.

[​IMG]
    And this is what we are left with.

[​IMG]
    Its doing its job for now....

[​IMG]
    Ive started on the cable management, theres still alot to do as this isnt a simple "insert cable tie here" job, theres alot of routing, tieing down, hiding, minimising....going to take a while but hey, i didnt get this far to have this baby turn out ugly!

Im making a vid for this update as well so ill be running through in a bit more detail exactly whats going on.

Almost time for the oil! booyah!

2. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

3. tyrandan

tyrandan Pink Lemonade.

Wow man this is turning out really well, you have some nice acryl/fishtank building skillz :lol::lol::lol:
    Haha I kid, no really you have done some nice work so far. And good job on the logo, you really don't need a scroll saw because it looks really cool already! :thumb:

4. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I still need a scroll saw to scroll in other companies logos :p , at least if i fail at modding I can always go build fish tanks eh haha.

5. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Can someone clarify what oil I need? parrafin oil keeps getting confused with kerosene, mineral oil is being mistaken for black breaking fluid (which is also mineral oil).

What the hell am I looking for?!

6. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

7. yoda3850

yoda3850 VaporMod extraordinaire

Have you tried any of the farm supply outlets like Elders or Landmark? they should have some idea, if not I'm sure they could put you in touch with some old Farmer who has a drum of it in his shed.

8. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I'll call a few vets and see if i can get some brought in I suppose. Bunnings sells parrafin oil but for 20 dollars a litre (yikes!). Surely theres better deals out there.

9. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Even vet mineral oil is still flammable. Should I be concerned?

Also an update on whats happening, its been raining in brisbane for the past 4 days so I havent been able to do anything with the mod (plus im trying to find appropriate oil) so hang with me, updates will be flowing again in a few days!

10. toru173

toru173 What's a Dremel?

Hello fellow Brisbanite! Doesn't the rain just make you happy inside?

I haven't been able to source any mineral oil either, but with respect to your flammability scares - check out the MSDS sheet and look for the 'flash point'. This is what you need to worry about. Most mineral oils will be flammable at temperatures far higher than anything you'd want in a computer, so as long as the mobo keeps working it should be fine.

It is my understanding that synthetic engine lubricant is a viable substitute, but I haven't really investigated it yet - my build is still a ways off. You might be able to pick some up cheap, or even buy a small amount and test a semi-immersed rig with older hardware. An old PIII may need to be sacrificed for the course!

11. monkey120101

monkey120101 My right hand is a Dremel.

*Subscribed
    Keep it up! :thumb:

12. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Yeah I have an old phone that im going to submerge on loud speaker and call, itll be my first mineral oil...phone call. Bunnings called before and reckon they can get 20ltrs in for 200 or so dollars and whilst this is a huge expense, its something I have to do!

And yes, the rain sucks. This is the most rain we have had in april in 20 years!

Thanks mate, I wont dissapoint once that oil comes!

tyrandan likes this.
  13. tyrandan

tyrandan Pink Lemonade.

Haha yeah, maybe one day you could make alot of money by building a large aquarium filled with exotic fish from.... Australia :) lol....

It sucks that you have to go through that confusion with buying the oil. you said it perfectly: "What the hell am I looking for???"
    Well anyways, I'm no expert so I can't give you much advice, though I can tell you that here in the good old States, I think people just use "Johnson & Johnson's Baby Oil", which is re-branded mineral oil. You can usually find it in your local grocery or department store. It doesn't come in gallon jugs though, as far as I know.

Oh, and I cannot leave without parting some wisdom from Wikipedia!! (I didn't get the nick name "Wikipedia Gawd" in high school for no reason. Seriously.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_oil#Mechanical_and_industrial
    That article has some fun facts about mineral oil, including its uses in other fields (Medical, preservative etc.) that you might find useful.
    Keep up the good work on the mod btw, it's turning out great :thumb:

EDIT: To prevent confusion, ANY baby oil is pretty much just mineral oil with added fragrance. You know, for that "New Computer" smell! :lol:

14. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HogHj8M4BKo

Video is up showing the oil. My brother didnt pay the internet bill so pics wont be up till at least tomorrow! I also put an air bubbler in there but that will be in the next video. Expect pics soon!

Till then, the video is all thats up.

I clocked the e5200 to 3.75ghz and its doing around 58 degrees on load. Even as I type this, its on its way to 24 hour prime95 stability testing :p

15. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

If you use baby oil, get the stuff with no perfume added. You don't want anything but mineral oil. Veggi oil will go rancid.

16. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

if ur using veggie oil you'd want it in a very sealed environment or it's going to get rather smelly rather quickly.

17. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Yeah im working on the seal, theres almost no smell at current.

18. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

its about time......

Yup, its about time that i got my internet back and that means that its just about time that I do a photo update!

I would explain everything ive been through since ive been offline but ill let the pics speak for themselves atm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice and clean, the cable management starts, I thought I would have trouble routing the wires but it all seems fairly easy atm.

[​IMG]

The e5200 is worth its money and even the mini atx board could get the 45nm up to 3.75ghz without worrying about heat. Submerging in oil does help though :p

[​IMG]
    Bubbles, ah bubbles. Believe it or not but the bubbler is made out of rock and helped reduce total oil temperature by a stunning 5 degrees!

Its all coming along and there are some very intricate attention to detail things that ill be updating in the next few weeks. The computer works and thats the main thing but making it look awesome is what im all about (and that takes time).

Next update cant be far away... :D

19. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

20. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

all this oil pc building action is making me want to build 1....