1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Episode 3... Very expected news inside

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by chocolateraisins, 19 Jan 2010.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Exactly. I'm pretty miffed if it's true, because I'm uncontrollably excited about the possibility that it might come out soon. In fact I'm so excited I might have to install the whole series again just to dissipate some joy.

2. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Goddamn. When they announce a release date, i will be playing through everything again. On hard. One life only. No respawning or i start the game again.

I got down to 3.5 hours speed running through the original, lets see if i have teh grenade through door storming skills i had then.

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

NOOOOOOOO!

+1 for dx11 though. Could be a pipe dream, but they always used to push the envelope with the HL series.

4. SoulRider

SoulRider What's a Dremel?

I believe HL2 episodes was a naming balls-up by the Marketing team, it was supposed to be HL3 episodes.

Having seen some of the ideas they were showing for EP3 around the release of EP2, I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing a DX10 re-write for the graphics, and now are re-doing it in DX11 to make it as truly beautiffuly staggering as they were intimating they want to make it. There were a few hints that they wanted to try some new things with Ep3, can't find the original pieces though..

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Good grief.
    When was the first installment again ?
    Its been so long I can't remember when Ep's 1 and 2 came out.....?

Right from the beginning "Episodic gaming" was a bad idea, and much of the gaming cimmunity thought so, but the developers all went for it.

Sin went before they finished, and even though Half Life is one of the MOST POPULAR franchises, the 3rd installment is no-where to be seen.
    Half Life MADE Valve.

Steam is nice and all that, but I don't play left4Dead one or 2, or TF or TF2...Not an online player.

Get the next Ep in, or at least give the people with the money (us) some info as to what, where and when please ?
    It had better have full DX11 support or people will be wondering what they've been doing all this time....

6. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

The last time I heard news about episode 3 was that it would be released in the 1st half of 2010..
    WWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTeFFFFFFFFFFFF ............ This is sad ..read sad........... They are doing a good job with updates on TF2 and LFD2 but still its been a llloooooooooong time..............

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

By the time EP3 is released it is 13 years after Halve Life. I hope they are making it before I DIE and never ever will know the fate of Gordon and Alyx (especially Alyx)

I hope Valve knows that the players where 13 years younger then now. And some are probably granddaddy's or growing large quantities of gray hair by now. So for christ sakes... Valve release something before i can't lift my mouse any more because of Parkinson or Can't remember what HL is because of dementia..

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The source engine works wonderfully in Valve games. Some other games that used it couldn't get it to stabilize (Vampire bloodlines, anyone?). I just got the impression that it works when you throw ungodly amounts of money at it.

As for how it looks - Well, I for one keep noticing how all Source engine games i know of look dated real quick. yes, it seems to run on my Gran's PC, which is more than I could say about a lot of other engines, but it also looks like it's made of smoke and mirrors when comparing, say, L4D/L4D2 with UT3.

Either way. If HL2 Ep 3 ever ships, i't gonna be bundled with HL2 ep 1, ep 2 and Portal:reloaded and retail for full game pricing again. I for one would buy it only if it cost EXPANSION MONEY, and not Orange Box money. I was EXTREMELY miffed that i had to buy Orange Box to play Ep2 after already owning Ep1 and HL2 originals.

9. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Shock and awe. Shock, and, awe.

I'm guessing they're going to release Portal 2 and Team Fortress 3 before this. I can see it now, after the Engie pack TF2 is abandoned and they make a new incompatible game. Then they're gonna update that. And then L4D2. Until they release L4D3.

They've got to milk the console kids, people. Can't afford to be making expansions.

10. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

There was this same kind of buzz in the years it took them to getting around to releasing Half Life 2. Everyone wondered when they would get it done, but what does it matter.

We just gotta wait and play whatever else, before you know it it will be time to be Gordon again.

11. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I heard left 4 dead 3 is currently being made in haiti.

I'll get my coat.

12. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

That's *DOCTOR* Freeman.

13. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

:'(

First Alan Wake turns to the dark side, then DICE goes all psycho, now THIS!

At least theres still ME2 to look forward to.

14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Not to blow anyone off or anything, but DirectX is just an API, a library if you will, with certain functions made easy. Seeing that a graphics engine also has it's own library (they make it), they can make a game written in OpenGL + OpenCL + They Own Library look just as stunning. In the end DX Developers look at what Developers do/want, and put it in the API. A good way of seeing this is, for example, CoD 4 on a mac, or even MW2.

The developers are pushing the envelope, not the other way round, so independent of DirectX 11, 10, 09 or OpenGL 3, 2, it makes no difference.

15. SBS

SBS What's a Dremel?

Welcome to the life of those waiting for Elite 4.

Pussies.

16. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Meh, i dont mind, it's done when it's done imo. I wouldnt want them to rush this is any way at all, the whole series has been tbqh, epic, and Ep2 was some of the most fun ive had in a game.
    Take your time i say, in valve i trust :D

17. sear

sear Guest

One of the major problems I've heard about game development at Valve is that their tools are extremely slow and outdated. However, for them to create new tools from the ground up and to re-train all their employees in them would be a pretty huge project, and while it would speed up development of later games, it would also cost a lot of time and money in the short-term, as well as slowing down development on existing games.

But yeah, just rumours, and no sources means it's as good as anyone else's speculation.

18. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Yes, it's called Bullsh!t.

19. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Happy if the delay is for DX11 additions.

20. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I don't want it to be a new engine, it would be kind of strange when all of a sudden everything looks different whilst playing through the HL2 series. New engine can wait until Half-Life 3.