1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows EVE Online Players Sound Off!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RotoSequence, 10 Sep 2006.

1. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

2. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Their has been too few mass fights in EVE lately but even with the losses CFC suffered they will just be instantly replaced with Technium isk.

Tech needs to be either nerfed to remove the economic benefit or move the moons so they are spread across all of null/low sec- go back to the days of the r64 moon wars, constant war to gain resources.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

A friend and I have been umming and erring about getting back into Eve. We play a bit of Dust at the minute, and have both had accounts (Christ, I think my main alt has been on there 6+ years).

I dug out my old evemon/ship planner stuff, and looks like I was heading towards a minmatar hurricane. Been a while, though.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'm saying this for a few years allready, that they should turn the moon-goo into randomized depletable ressources. Once the moon-goo is depleted, it spwans somewhere else and the first one to find it can feel happy for a while until it gets public.

This would shake up the encrusted null-sec and make it dynamic again.

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

[​IMG]

583 billion ISK worth of stuff destroyed...about $17,500 :/

Games are serious business :p

6. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Theirs two problems with your suggestion, firstly celestial objects such as planets and moons are static in EVE, to enable moons to deplete and spawn elsewhere you are going to need to make new solar systems- as moons just dont spawn randomly, we dont get that many new systems.

Secondly you would need to move away from POS mining- as it works for static moons but ones that deplete, you would need something like PI or a mining colony on the moon havesting the resources.

My suggestion is the easiest thing ccp can implement, as it would change the political and economic situation of EVE within a few weeks, war would break out all over.

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'm not saying that the moons vanish once their ressources are depleted. Only the moon-goo is transferred to another "free" moon, once it's depleted. This way the celestial object stay the way they are, but you need to hunt and probe down the moons through the whole galaxy constantly to find the new locations of the moon-goo.

POS' makes sense for moonmining, and the POS-mechanics with their reinforcement-timers are a good mechanic to create big fights.

We've been through this question in the official EvE-forums time and time again, and the only reason this isn't implemented as I suggested is, that the big powerblocks don't want to move their stuff constantly. The big powerblocks are lazy and depend on the status quo, as the suggested system would heavily favour the smaller and more mobile corps and alliances.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2013
  8. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

POS's need their overhaul and fighting over them doesnt exactly please many piolts as stuctures are very boring to shoot twice.

The moons depleting and then spawning else where would not work, as eventually you will exhaust all the moons- either u have static resources spread out across the galaxy or you have deposits via asteriods that impact into moons etc.

Though when you get to that stage you can look at saying that moon goo should go to comets/rare asteroid belts for the majority of the goo, while having fewer moons etc.

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The depleted asteroids get respwaned during downtime, so the moon-goo could be spawned during downtime aswell, just in another moon ofc. It's not that hard to do actually, it's just a few lines of additional code, as all the other required mechanics are allready available.

And for the POS. Well... moon-goo is just too important to have it floating around, ready to grab for passerbyes, and the ability to build up and defend a POS in NULL-sec actually seperates the good from the bad corps/alliances.

10. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I think what jrs77 is trying to say is that say you have a moon, moon 1, that has x amount of resource A. You set up a mining operation and mine the everloving f**k out of it for a while. Eventually, the moon is tapped and no more A is being generated.
    Moon 1 doesn't wink out of existance nor does a new moon, moon 2, suddenly appear. Players scan moon 2 and discover that a new source of A has been unearthed on the surface and can, thusly, move their mining operation.

I'd liken it to finding a new source of oil on earth.

Also, POSs need sorted sooner rather than later. I manage a POS in a wormhole and it's a pain in the ass sorting permissions.

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

:D

12. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Pretty much.:wallbash:

13. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

The player base will likely object to having the probe every moon in a system/constellation to find a technium deposit again on a regular basis, until pos get their overhaul moving towers is still a ardueous task- what about moons already with deposits do you exclude them as it wouldnt be hard for the player base to figure out where it will eventually spawn and just leave towers onlined or in space.

What i would like to see happen with moon goo, is still keep the fixed moons but lower the resource collection rate- its still valuble to hold and defend but along with alchemy reactions, you have floating roids of destoyed moons- these are valauble to both small corps and large allainces that dont own space or do as its very good isk.
    It would produce alot of interesting fights over the resource as you have to spend time probing it out and harvesting- but the risk is worth the reward.

POS fights and 0.0 fights in general all depend on the intel that spies/scouts provide about the enemy fleet- as you can re-ship to counter them and with a decent FC lay waste to the opposition such as NC. for example or you take the CFC approach and blob like mad.
    Though most 0.0 fights all come down to who is willing to risk their capital and super capital fleets, most allainces will back down as they dont want to risk it- its a shame titans got nerfed as the Raiden wars in Venal where good against goons as they would risk their titans to win the fight before goon prime time.

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The new moon-goo-mechanics I described there actually have a large community backing it up in the official forums.

15. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

The only community ccp listens too is the Goons, complain about titans they get nerfed, other people complain about tech- nothing.

16. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

You should try living in a wormhole, scanning is a daily task.

17. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Yes and i have lived in quite a few wh, yet their is no option to scan 30+ moons at once, the number of moons will vary per system but add up a constellation take Mayonhen in Aridia, their is 200 moons across 6 systems- its alot to get throug.

The only people that will be profiting is those that make and sell survey probes.

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I joined EvE in the end of 2004, and we actually did scan hundreds of moons back then, as noone allready did the job. We didn't have carriers, titan-bridges, jumpbridges and jumpfreighters back then either and still we built up those empires.

Todays EvE-players are just lazy as hell imho, and that's exactly the problem of EvE today and the reason I stopped playing it.

Back in the days we needed a hundred players to move stuff back and forth with freighter-convoys, maintaining our POS-networks etc. Nowadays a handful of players can do it all within a few hours and they still complain.

I wish EvE was still this hard as it was in 2005/2006, when the big alliances like BoB, D2 and ASCN were the big ones, having only a handful of capitals, let alone titans and motherships. These glory days are long gone tho and ever since they introduced the CSM and chose to let the players decide where to go, the game went downhill, especially these days with Goonswarm having the say in the CSM.

Serious business is no more.

19. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Maybe ccp will in their review of EVE and its future look to the origins and try to shift the game back to what it was- though its a hard challenge to bring in new players while still keeping 7-8+ year vets still in the game.

I started playing in 07 before Trinity was released and that alone did quite a bit for the game as before visualy it was not that impressive, quite a different game afterwards.
    Ive got a lot of friends and current corp mates that have played since day 1 or in the first few years- the good old times as they reffer to it, so i understand your points completely.

One thing to add, is that the size of EVE has reduced with Titans/JF/Carriers/Jump Bridges and even wormholes to a certain degree- so its easier for small numbers of people to manage space where in the past you would need considerably more people.
    With a larger game population and smaller distances the explosion of wealth has really gotten out of control as rare items such as titans/sc's etc used to be rare but are too common as the isk sinks the game are not large enough.

Theirs countless thread on the eve forums and various sites about what best to do with EVE, the csm while heavily weighted in Goon's favour does at least provide a player to company voice unlike many other games.

20. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

While you may winge a lot about goons they are pretty determined to make this game a lot better.