1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress EXO-S: TRANSPORT CASE DONE!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mystikal0412, 31 May 2011.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Powder coating can be spraying plastic powder onto the case which is electrically charged and then put into a giant oven to melt it or something along those lines

2. Bede

Bede Minimodder

That is a thing of beauty, I can't believe how different it looks to when you guys first started. Congrats! :)

Also that's a nice choice of motherboard, not too colourful so it won't clash with the case.

3. Mystikal0412

Mystikal0412 Safety First, Think Twice!

I tried to get a new motherboard in, via a sponsorship with Asus, however. So far no luck...
    Therefor the mATX will be put into the case. On the otherhand, it is the case that counts not the hardware inside :)

4. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

you speak the truth :)

5. fractal arc modder

fractal arc modder What's a Dremel?

that is a sick case mod

6. Mystikal0412

We are still waiting on the CCFL lights, therefor no update so far. In the meantime we have sleeved our cables and are working on the leds for the watercooling head and the Exo-S logo. So we have not stopped and we are really pushing to get all materials in place to finalize this mod!

7. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

PLEASE DO I LOVE THIS MOD

8. Mystikal0412

Today Asus has sent out the sponsort mobo. It is the P8Z68-V PRO, which has perfect colours for our Exo-S. Thank you so much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Asus Benelux and Rogier in particular thank you for this great gift! We will soon drink a beer in the 'Burgemeester'

Last edited: 25 Nov 2011
  9. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

awesome work so far!!
    :D

10. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

Nice - I had not seen this since the grinding and powdercoat - it's very cool/ Look forward to seeing more.

11. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Im loving this, so different to other projects, keep up the good work... Im gonna subscribe to this one :hehe:

12. Mystikal0412

The unboxing pics are complimentary...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[[​IMG]

The mobo build into the EXO-S. For some reason it doesn't seem to boot... 8)

[​IMG]

13. Mystikal0412

We got a major sat-back with the Exo-S....

The motherboard I/O backpanel does not fit the case ???. We thought those backpanels were 100% standard, but it looks this is not completely the case or we measured a bit to short from our 'test' motherboard.

See attached pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we are a bit dissapointed with this and we are looking into this how to solve this issue. Nevertheless it looks like we need to go back to the painter after we have fixed this issue.

Basically at this moment we see 3 different options to solve this matter.

Option 1:
    [​IMG]

Option 2:
    [​IMG]

Option 3
    [​IMG]

Whatever we do, we need to go back to the painter and hopefully it is possible to restore and paint only a part of the case. It is not 100% visible, but nevertheless we want to have a good result.

Bare with us....

14. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

As at as I know, the actual IO plate size is standard but the port layout and height isn't. Really feel for you as after a fresh coat of sexy black powder it's not the best time to find you maybe needed to fire up the angel grinder!

Best of luck with the repainting part. I had a repair on a bike frame and the only way we managed to get the powered coat to match was to reblast the whole frame and repaint completely :( thankfully this was a few year ago and only cost me £25 for the whole frame doing

Can I ask how much the powdercoat set you back?

15. Mystikal0412

70 euro, so that is not bad, just a big bummer in general. Thought we finally(!) could lay the sparkling demon aside, and start on the next phase..

16. Mystikal0412

No idea why you can't see pics. I receive no other complaints?
    Can some-one confirm that pics can be seen!

This morning I finally received the CCFL lights. We waited pretty long, but the result is just perfect! They are beautifull!

With a diameter of only 2.4mm these babies are one of the smallest CCFL's in the world!

This picture sais it all!

[​IMG]

But first things first. Tomorrow we start cutting the Exo-S in order to get the I/o bracket extended. So for now no lights in the Exo-S, we need to have some patience...

NDF Special Light Products and in particular Coen and FRank, thank you for the sponsoring and the personal help!

17. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Sorry to hear about the setback. I am sure you will figure it out good though, and DAMN those are some small ccfl´s:D

18. Mystikal0412

Enormous KICK!

After a week of grinding and sanding (thank to my buddy SqUeD) we started to give it it's first toplayer of matt black paint.

After we changed the I/O bracket we contacted the same company again, but they asked 200 euro for filling and painting. That was way to much, therefor we decided to do it ourselves.

The result is not 100% after the first layer (which is logic), but the colour is waaaayyy better than the original colour of the company who did it the first place. It is more matt black, better 'structure' of the paint. It gives it a bit of a 'plastic' look in a good way that is!

The coming days a little bit more sanding and than SqUeD will paint it for the 2nd (and probably last) time.

This monday we are planning to mounting the CCFL's. It is becoming a long project, but we are stretching for the best possible result and sofar we have succeeded.

No pics, maybe later this week!

19. Mystikal0412

Finally some new pics...

Last week we started to get on with the lights. We tried them for the first time in the EXO-S, to see what the effect exactly is.

Pictures say more than words...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 pieces, in total we have 14, we are probably going to use 8 or 10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the end we were not totale satisfied with the result. We are now going to use high reflection plastic to stick on the inside of the PSU cover. They use this plastic also on road signs and should 'bounce' back the lights. The matt black inside of the psu cover 'absorps' all light. We don't want that, it needs to burst out between the shields.

Tomorrow we will continue and hopefully later this week another update.

20. D_Yin

D_Yin What's a Dremel?

oh my those ccfl tube are soo cute. glass ? seems soo fragile