1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Extending partition sizes?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deewon, 18 Dec 2012.

1. Deewon

Deewon What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

I've got some unallocated space on my hard drives and would like to extend the current partitions with it.

When I use disk management I get an warning that they will be converted to dynamic drives. After a search it appears I should try and avoid that and take another approach. This is the current setup;

[​IMG]

Talking unallocated space, I would like to combine the 195GB on disk 1 with the D drive and combine 100GB of Disk 2 with E, and 20GB with F.

Would it be a better approach to use a third party program for this? Or should I go down the route of Partition / Extended : Logical Drives

Thanks

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I would avoid spanning partitions across disks. What I would do is fire up parted magic and do a move/extend on disk1 for D: to use the entire disk, and use FOLDERS to organize things, same with the E/F slices on disk2 with an extra step of moving 'music' to the first slice so you can then delete the partition and extend the entire disk 1 partition.
    I never make a bunch of partitions on a disk, one always seem to run out of space in thier partition when they do these things. Using folders for organization over partitions is a much better plan.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You can only have 3 primary partitions. In order to have more, you need to convert your second partition as logical, from where you make as many partition as you want. Logical partitions does not work on disks setup in GTP.

To set this up, you need to pretty much full format your HDD.

I don't think its worth doing all this. Let alone the chances of data loss. Just make folders.
    2 partitions (OS, and the rest or something like that), is plenty.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

5. Deewon

Deewon What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tips guys :)