1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Extracting an auto-run pdf library

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by dullonien, 4 Jun 2013.

1. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I have a copy of a Rover and MG manual (it includes workshop manuals etc.) saved on disk which auto-runs using a version of Acrobat4. The copy of Acrobat included has now expired, so the only way to get it to work is to set the system date back to 2003. It's a 'Rave' manual if that helps.

All the individual pdf documents are saved in a folder, but trying to open these individually does nothing but open a blank Acrobat X window and navigates me to the Acrobat website.

Does anyone know if there is a way to extract these pdf documents so they could be opened like normal in Adobe Reader/Acrobat?

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I've also got a copy of the RAVE manual. I just fired it up and mine seems to work fine without having to faff with the date. Would you like me to make a copy and plonk it in the post for you dullonien?

3. dullonien

Thanks for the offer, but it's ok. It's for my parents car, and I rarely need to look at it. I was just thinking that for future use having them as simple pdf files would be much easier.

Surely there must be a way to gain access to the pdf files for use in other programs/versions of Acrobat?

4. qualalol

qualalol What's a Dremel?

No idea why exactly the files won't open, but have you tried using an alternative pdf reader at all? Most open-source ones can ignore any "restrictions" built in to files, which might be what's happening (I haven't actually used Acrobat in years...). One of the ones possibly worth trying is "evince".

5. dullonien

Thanks for the tip. It got a little further, this time asking for a password to unlock the document. I'm wondering if the password is saved somewhere, as the included Acrobat4 must get it from somewhere.

I'll give up. It's encrypted pretty securely.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2013
  6. qualalol

qualalol What's a Dremel?

Out of interest -- are the files themselves executables, or are you running the special reader to open them? I had to extract files from an executable recently (updating my BIOS but from Linux...) -- you just feed them through unzip or cabextract (can vary, cabextract for what I was using), and any embedded files will be extracted. Not sure if that's in any way helpful here though.

But that really does suck if they're trying to stop you from opening the files...