1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Far Cry 3 Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 11 Dec 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

given the quality of far cry 2 it'll likely make me slit my own throat.

3. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

what Gunsmith said

4. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

Far Cry 2's weapons *never* jammed on me. You know why? Because I played the game like I was a professional mercenary, and always stocked up on fresh weapons before every mission. I avoided encounters before reaching the objective - routing around checkpoints - and was frequently able to get far enough to get the job done and get out again without collateral damage, particularly for assassination missions.

Judging by how much time I spent on it (enjoying it), Far Cry 2 is still the best PC FPS game released in the past 3 years, for my money. Massively enjoyable exercise in immersion.

The best bits about it: road patrols and continuous respawning checkpoints. Those two elements made navigating the countryside suspenseful. If the checkpoints could be easily wiped out permanently, then the game would have been made far too easy. It was much more fun sneaking past checkpoints, and plotting a route that enabled that.

I have a theory that people who didn't like it prefer their FPSes to be mindless Rambo-style console romps, the kind of thing Crysis tediously advertised and promoted - a desperately dull and easy game I played exactly once.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2011
  5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

but that's exactly what it was.. I have a theory on people who liked it- they had some really crappy e machines that couldn't play crysis and farcry 2 tended to look nice on the low end hardware :p

last time I worked on a engine.. turning a nut 5 or 6 times didn't do anything..

and the endings.. let's not go there.. the voice acting was absolutely horrible too- especially at the beginning of the game

6. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I didn't find the arbitrary arrival of some jokers in a jeep to be suspenseful, I found it to be annoying. It removed any sense of strategy from the map and made the whole experience feel very arcadey. One of the lessons the STALKER and Fallout games should have taught more developers is that time spent outside combat in an open world game is not time wasted. If you make storming a checkpoint or battling a machinegun-armed jeep a mere trivial inconvenience you end up making the game feel dull, you rob the battles of any sense of stakes, they become a perfunctory chore.

Far Cry 2 was annoying because it was a few wrong design choices away from being seriously good. Had it been more moddable it could have been fixed, in the way that STALKER was, but alas no. It showed enough promise that I will look at Far Cry 3, but from the sound of the preview it doesn't sound like the right lessons have been learned.

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I have to admit; I do like some of the gameplay that could take place. Just make the AI a crap shot from the hip (Unlike some games), and if any kind of weapon-wear is incorporated; Make it affect the AI too. I don't want to have an AI sniper firing insanely quickly and accurately, then his rifle turning out to be absolute crap when I pick it up, incapable of even firing in a straight line.

8. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Farcry 2 is victm of it's own hugeness... It become a little boring beacuse you need to do a lot of fetch quests in a huge scenario.
    BUT I am with barrkel: I think it is much better than overhyped titles like crysis.

crysis is as profound as a spit on the floor...imho

9. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

has to be cry after the travesty that was Fail Cry 2

10. Havalynii

Havalynii What's a Dremel?

Agreed.

This. All three of the men in my family (including myself) enjoyed Far Cry 2. I loved the fire propagation, the jamming, the plot. My older brother contracts for the State Department in Africa and was so impressed at how accurately FC2 handled the problems of places like the DRC. On the jamming side of things, I only wish they'd implemented a way to clean your weapon to avoid jams, rather than just having to get a new one. I also wish they'd made it so you could replay through the game after beating the main story, but with all of your unlocks. A helicopter (even unarmed) to travel around would have been sweet. Finally, the only thing left that I would have changed is the damage modeling on the enemies; use the Raven Shield methodology: I die in one or two shots, but so do all of the baddies. All in all, these minor quibbles haven't stopped me from beating the game three times. It is gorgeous on my PC and ran well on highest DX9 settings on my old Pentium 4...which is more than Crysis ever did, even on my i7. Seriously overlooked game.

11. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Does it matter what FarCry3 turns out like, Ubisoft are the publishers, and everyone on bit-tech says they'll never buy an Ubi title because of their DRM and s****y public relations people.

12. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

No, we just dont enjoy getting discovered by one enemy then having to fight an endless horde of AI that wont go away.

I really enjoyed the original Far Cry and loved its open world experience. FC2 was ruined by the AI and the fact your weapons randomly jammed at the most annoying of times

13. K404

K404 It IS cold and it IS fast

I liked FC2 TBH..... I would have liked to see at least SOME of the checkpoints be friendly.... THAT would add a little suspense as you approach each one. Will they all turn on me? Will they offer me a beer?

Instead of the major towns be ceasefire zones with infinite spawning if the ceasefire is broken, i'd rather see guards at the boundaries take your weapons off you, like they do when you enter militia safehouses.

Oh..... and it would have been nice if arms convoys went to destination XYZ or disappeared off the map (mission with time limit) instead of driving around in circles until they got wiped out

Last edited: 11 Dec 2011
  14. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Ubisoft product - will not buy.

15. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

I liked FC2 too, sank an awful lot of hours into it. I liked the weapons degrading, it made long mission more suspenseful, as you needed to consider that your main weapon would get unreliable after a while, and you had to depend on your secondary. I admit the checkpoints respawned too quickly, they should be empty longer if you clear them, it got frustrating sometimes.

Also, no aliens and a (kinda) believable story. I think it was the first time i intentinally suicided myself in a game.

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

point made.. old p4 :p

and the i7 part- I'm not even going to go there

ubisoft is hit and miss.. played dust recently and kind of liked it- ac brotherhood was amazing imo

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So, will this finally manage to beat Crysis in the looks department?

Personally, I found FC2 to be a big pile of arse. Needless to say, I'll be treating this with trepidation.

18. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I quite enjoyed FarCry 2 apart from the respawning enemies as you travelled from town to town - they were a pain in the ar*e. It still won't be a patch on the first, but I'm hoping that it'll at least be fun.

19. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

I also enjoyed Far Cry 2. It had it flaws but still good fun.

20. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Hated FC2, but I'll give it a chance before I mock it and call it nasty names. ;o

Tags: Add Tags