1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Farewell to DirectX?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 16 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Ayrto likes this.
  2. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Very interesting article. Makes sense to drop it if its going to help the platform, but with developers not wanting to release many games on it just now will they want to put even more time/money into developing a game without the API?

3. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I think DX9 was the ast really user friendly API, DX10 was a mess, 10.1 ws only adopted by AMD - so for the last 3 years or more the API has been a diffcult beast to tame, DX11 fixes some fo that but also brings in more complications.

I liked the info provided about processing efficiencies of the console and what they are capable of without using an API - one could also argue that most PC titles are restriced because they have to be ported across to PS3 and XBOX and also cater for DX8 or DX9 gpus that are still in PC's today.

The points made are valid, the API has to cater for a very broad range of GPU's I think this would be made less restrictive if the industry would agree that any gpu older than 4yrs becomes an unsupported legacy product (with a legacy instruction set), thus allowing designers to develop and opimise for a much more streamlined set of products using modern techniques.

The alternative would be back the good old days of selecting your GPU from a menue when installing the game and have direct to metal instruction sets for each - watch AMD and NV splash out the millions then to make one more optimised than the other :).

I'd like to hear more developers feedback on the DX Versus OPEN Versus Console.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

So what about OpenGL?:

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Funny how Elma Fuddy here didn't mention that isn't it. Which API does AMD favour again?

6. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

The same also applies to OpenGL - it's just that most cutting-edge PC game developers use DirectX now, and they're the ones who are most likely to be interested in programming direct-to-metal. We've also got a big feature all about OpenGL coming up in Custom PC soon.

7. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I'm old enough to remember having to select what hardware (egh sound card) you had to play Doom. If it wasn't on the list, no sound.
    I really hope we don't go back to that. It was especially annoying if you had hardware newer than the game. Remember when sound cards were advertised as "Sound Blaster compatable" so you knew you'd be able to get them to work in games?
    If you take away the ease of use then you really will kill the PC as a gaming platform.

Tyinsar likes this.
  8. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

If getting the best is a question of coding directly for the hardware, imaging how good games will look on the next generation of games consoles when they come out in five years or so.
    I'm hoping for masses of tesselation.

9. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Very interesting. I can see this happening in the future but not for a long while yet.

10. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Interesting theory but I can see too many perfectly good, older gaming architectures out there that devs will still want to be able to sell to creating too many options.

11. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

So last week Huddy praises Microsoft for D3D and this week he wants rid of it? If they start dropping stuff like DX, they really will kill off the PC as a gaming platform.

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I thought the xbox was called the xbox because it used directx?

13. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Page 117 of the current (May) issue.

14. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

So are there any examples of real world "direct to metal" games available?

15. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Nah, that's about OpenCL :p

16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Oh I remember that, used to drive me MENTAL. However, I could see it being alot easier these days... auto-detect and the such.

I mean, say you buy something on STEAM and you've got your rig details uploaded somewhere. The copy you download could be optimised (wording, I know) specifically for your system!

Sure turnaround times on games will go up... but to be fair, this kind of thing is a good way to go =]

17. bob_lewis

bob_lewis Lurker extraordinaire

Interesting, indeed! Please follow up on this.

I know it's probably not a great comparison, but perhaps we can move towards something like the luxury sports car world. Just like with high-end PCs, most people won't / can't afford to buy an Aston Martin DBS, but those that do will probably say it was worth every penny (or cent, or what have you). If you pay "top dollar" for something you sure as hell expect to get more out of your investment than the guy that bought a Skoda.

18. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

A very good article, thankyou.

19. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

I'd second this - having games too tightly coded to specific graphics cards makes them less likely to work with future ones. The PCs biggest benefit has always been having access to the largest collection of software, going back to the 1980's (though much of the early stuff now requires emulators like DosBox or ScummVM to run properly).

As for games "looking alike", isn't that more a reflection of them using engines developed by the likes of Unreal and ID? I would have thought a more valid complaint would be about games *playing* alike - particularly with companies previously known for breaking the mould descending into generic 3D FPS-hood (*cough* Bioware *cough*).

20. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Well its a poor state of affairs but I did say it reference to the console article (next gen due out on 2014) that this will be the next big performance leap for pc games and then we will have to wait for the generationa fter that for the next big leap - whereas before 3d tech leaps came with every new DX revision (18-24mths).

Tags: Add Tags