1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

floppy drive through PCI or something

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Urza9814, 12 Jan 2005.

1. Urza9814

Urza9814 What's a Dremel?

Ey, I recently fried my motherboard's floppy drive controller...is there any way to use a floppy drive other than sending in my mobo for the warranty? I don't wanna go the week or two it'd take to do that with my old comp, and I don't wanna have to rebuild my entire comp...so...any kinda PCI card or something I can use? only thing I can find is ISA cards...

2. BaDDaSS

BaDDaSS What's a Dremel?

3. moddenmania

moddenmania What's a Dremel?

how much do you really use your flopply drive why don't u just get an external usb drive

4. BaDDaSS

BaDDaSS What's a Dremel?

Im partially reluctant to by a floppy drive for my new rig.

I have cdr/dvdr and zip - who uses floppies these days?
    *cough* my mum :(

5. Urza9814

I have a good reason to use floppies.
    1) CD-RWs are not, in fact, rewritable (except Radioshack's, but I can't find those anymore)
    2) my school uses win98, so I think USB pen drives are out (plus they're expensive as hell)
    3) no one has Zip drives!

6. TMM

TMM Modder

care to elaborate? i'f you mean you can't really "delete" things, just wipe the whole disc then, yeah, your right... but whats with the ratshack ones?

7. BaDDaSS

BaDDaSS What's a Dremel?

They are re writable :)
    USB pen drives can work with Windows 98
    and where im from, most people do have ZIP drives.

Floppies arn't 100% redundant yet, that wasn't my point.

8. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

Correct me if' i'm wrong, but you need Floppy drives for SATA/Raid drivers and Bios flashes.

9. Urza9814

yea, I believe you are right...lol...will a USB floppy drive work for boot disks though?
    And by CD-RWs...I meant usually they can only be rewritten about 3 times before the comp says they're corrupt...except Radioshack's...I had a pack of those that lasted about a year and a half...
    and yes, you can delete things from RWs...depending on how they're formatted though...
    USB pen drives work with 98 out of the box? Like, no drivers? Still though...they're expensive as hell...

10. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

I don't think USB Floppys work with boot disks but i'm not 100% sure.

-Xoddoza

11. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

:confused: I have used the same set (i got a pack of 5) of CD-RW for years, and they still work fine. I can't count the number of times I have Re-Written them but best guess is well over a hundred. They still sell the same exact discs at my local office max. (They are TDK)

And pen drives are very inexpensive these days, heck sometimes you can get them for free after rebates :clap:

12. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Oh yeah, I have had one CD-RW die on me. But that was after it was scratched so bad that I could see light through the disc when held up to a light.

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Depends on the mobo I think.

Floppies are the most outdated tech still in existance. They serve no day-to-day purpose, in fact the sole purpose of F6 drivers if you're installing windows to RAIDed drives (and BIOS flases if your mobo doesn't support a windows-based flash which many do). Data is easily corrupted, they cost ~$500/GB if you buy in small packs (CDs costing ~9c/GB and DVDs even less). In fact you can get a cheap CDRW or USB pen drive for the same cost as a floppy drive and a couple disks.

True not that many have zip drives, they're only marginally better than floppies (at $100/gig it's rediculous)

USB drives work in Win98, they just need a driver. Why you can't just email the files you're working on to yourself perplexes me, it can't be that much of a problem if they'd fit on a floppy.

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Dont you also need to have a floppy to install drivers for windows XP to read SATA drives in general for installation?

15. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

I belive so. I just plug it in, install the drivers then unplug the floppy.

16. TMM

TMM Modder

i slipstreamed sata drivers onto a windows xp cd so i don't need a floppy anymore when formatting my comp ;). Thats the only reason i ever used a floppy drive and now i don't need to do that anymore :clap:

17. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

TMM care to share any info on how you accomplished this. Ive seen a few sites but they didnt quite cover what you just said.

18. moddenmania

moddenmania What's a Dremel?

usb flash drives aren't too expensive

19. TMM

TMM Modder

http://unattended.msfn.org/ ;) half the time i didn't really know what i was doing :hehe: , but i just followed on very carefully and it works great :)

20. Urza9814

see, the biggest reason I need one is for school. I can't install drivers, I can't access my email, can't access my FTP server, and they don't have zip drives...just floppy and CD...