1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Award: best language

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by relix, 2 Feb 2004.

1. micb

micb Minimodder

I am afraid I highly disagree with Wire-Frame and Relix in your last posts, I feel what you have said is very cold with no almost empathy of others and their feelings.

There are different levels of dyslexia combined with many other facets as well, you seem lumping them all together.

Just because a person is dyslexic does not mean you should write them off as no good, with extra time, help and attention people can be assisted with there difficulties.

There have been thousands of people in this world who have done amazingly well and have had difficulties reading and writing.

2. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

No-one is saying that! WHY DOES NOBODY READ WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN!??! I am simply saying that there are other people who need "special rules" too, or else ignore the "special rules" for everyone. Just level out the playing field!

Show me where I have "written off" a dyslexic as "no good"?

I think what you have said is cold with no empathy for anyone but dyslexics. Which is what I have been sayng throughout this whole thread. WHAT ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE? what about people who are not dyslexic and have nothing to do with anything remotely dyslexic in nature, but are simply not as gifted at understanding concepts as another person? Why do THEY not get an "extra time" allowance in exams? WHY? Make it fair, give them both an extra time allocation, OR make it fair and stop them all having an extra time allocation!
    is it clear now?!

3. ThrrrpT

ThrrrpT What's a Dremel?

This is a very good comment however feel that because your friend still has the ability to swim he shouyld be in no way advantaged in any way. If however we said your friend broke his/her right arm before an exam (assume he is right handed) in the country I live in he would be given a reader/writer as well as extra time as to not be disadvantaged by his/her disability. It is this case that should be compared to dyslexics as their disability also affects their reading/writing ability.

on a final note if those who are affected by dyslexia and simmilar conditions have no problem accepting extra time in an exam then they should have no problem checking through their posts as they would an exam.
    If however you say they deserve no extra time then you are merely requesting them not to check over their posts and correct any spelling mistakes and/or gramatical errors.

4. relix

relix Minimodder

So does intelligence (or the lack thereof), I do not see what this has to do with what I tried to make clear.

I have not said they were no good, I have merely compared them with people who are not as intelligent as other people. So _you_ are now saying that people who are not as intelligent as other people, are no good. I strongly disagree with that, as most people will, but that is a whole other discussion.

Also, people not as intelligent as others can also be assisted with there difficulties with extra time, help and attention.

There have been thousands of people who have done amazingly well and aren't as gifted in intelligence who have done amazingly well. I also do not see your point here.

Very righteous you are indeed, in our country they would also be helped, and I think in most countries. Perhaps I should indeed review my opinion on this matter.

There is no time-limit on posts, nor is it a test. An exam tests the capabilities of a person. If the capabilities of a person aren't up to the level of the test, then that person should fail. In analogy form: it is not because someone failed the exams to be a teacher, that this person won't be a good parent, or that he won't be able to teach his kid the basic things of life. It is not because someone failed the exams of lifeguard, that he should not (try to) swim 200m whenever he wants too, even if it means he'd take longer than 4:30.

Perhaps these examples are a bit far-fetched, but I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

5. ThrrrpT

ThrrrpT What's a Dremel?

I do understand what you are saying Relix. Its just in an attempt to be non discriminatory in this politically correct world we live in we end up descriminating whether it be against those with disabilities, injuries or those who are not naturally intelligent and in the context of this thread how well they know/understand the english language.

6. xrain

xrain Minimodder

I guess im cought red handed :worried: for the sms talk :wallbash:. I guess it is better start typing normal otherwise I might say u or y, in a application and that wont look good. They'll think I'm a fool! :p
    -
    -
    --xrain--

7. relix

relix Minimodder

Okay ThrrrpT, I guess we then shouldn't try discussing things that don't have an answer/solution, and leave the dyslexia behind us in this thread. :)